Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > IPA Mead Recipe please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
TheBrewingMedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robusto View Post
Yup! that stuff is awesome! it's my favorite store bought mead... well cyser...
Seriously jealous of you guys that have access to B.Nektar stuff, I hear nothing but amazing things about everything they make.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dont have much experience with meads (have a braggot that is still aging right now) but for hops just dry hopping isnt going to give much or really any bitterness. If you are looking for just aroma then dry hopping will work. If you want some flavor then you should do a small boil depending on what you want.

Ive experimented with dry hopping and late boil additions and in my experience (someone with more experience can chime in) but what I get with dry hopping is a very strong aroma (which unfortunately dissapates very quickly) where if I do a boil and do late additions 20 min and less I get a better flavor addition

Havent had what you are trying to make so not sure what you are going for, but dry hopping might not be exactly what you want

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Fathand
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I agree with Adeering. I just dry hopped a Hefeweizen-style braggot with 1 oz of Tettnang hops for a 1 gallon batch and I was hopping for a huge hop wallop and to be honest its not as sharp of a flavor as I was hoping for.

Also I just tried Evil Genius this weekend and I enjoyed it a lot. I will be watching this tread as I hope to replicate it in the future.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineMilBill
So based on their brewing style - I'm assuming this is really a hopped hydromel or simply a weak metheglin in a sense. It is sans malt (according to the posted description) - and comes in at only 6% ABV.

If it were "quite sweet" as reported by roadymi - my initial thoughts are, per gallon:

2 lbs clover honey
.2 oz hops
Safale US-05

The trick is getting close to the 6%. That's some serious hydromel status. I would watch your FG after a day or so and stop fermentation as necessary. SNA will not be needed in a mead this 'small'. I haven't done the math on it - but at 6%, I'm sure even less honey could be used per gallon and still be plenty sweet. You're simply going to have to base your stopping point off of your OG reading.
B Nektar has a quick turnaround on their meads. They actually had two types of Evil Genius back in March. They let the public vote on it. The other version was actually better. Their low gravity meads have a quick turnaround, 3-6 months.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #15
tuumi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineMilBill
So based on their brewing style - I'm assuming this is really a hopped hydromel or simply a weak metheglin in a sense. It is sans malt (according to the posted description) - and comes in at only 6% ABV.

If it were "quite sweet" as reported by roadymi - my initial thoughts are, per gallon:

2 lbs clover honey
.2 oz hops
Safale US-05

The trick is getting close to the 6%. That's some serious hydromel status. I would watch your FG after a day or so and stop fermentation as necessary. SNA will not be needed in a mead this 'small'. I haven't done the math on it - but at 6%, I'm sure even less honey could be used per gallon and still be plenty sweet. You're simply going to have to base your stopping point off of your OG reading.
They force carbonate. They let it go dry then use sorbate/sulfite to stabilize. After that they back sweeten.

As far as the hops try this. Do a normal one hour boil (I know you'll lose some honey aromas. Bear with me here a sec). Add hops throughout the hour to create your desired hop bittering, flavor, aroma profile. Let it ferment dry. At this point it going to be bitter because there will be no residual sugar. Add sorbate/sulfite to prevent refermentation. Now here is the cool part. Just add honey to balance the bitterness with sweetness. Also, any honey aroma boiled off is added back. B Nektar's IPA mead is good but a bit too sweet for me. I think it would be even better if the sweetness was dialed back a bit.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Has anyone tried this yet? I'd be interested in the recipe once someone has it down...I think it sounds awesome!

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
PattyM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Bump. Any progress in cloning the "Evil Genius"? I've tried a bottle and really liked it! I would like to make this my next batch. Especially if it could be ready to drink in 3 months or less. What hops do you think should be used? I would need to go buy something since I've never done beer. Just Mead and Cider so far.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #18
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Ok, so I love hops and mead, so this has caught my interest!

I'm curious if anyone has tried this with just dry hopping? I know in my IPA's I brew, a few months of aging and most of those delicious hop aromas disappear, so I generally drink my IPA's young. Now, I would imagine that if you did the same with mead, you would want to age it until it's drinkable, and then dry hop, bottle, and drink shortly after bottling.

That said, I'm also cuious what would happen if you boiled the hops in water for an hour(maybe with a few hop additons like beer), mix in honey, cool, pitch yeast, and then aim for it to finish at a higher gravity(say 1.010-1.030), with the theory being that the hop bitterness would balance out the sweetness. Anyone ever try this?

I think I am going to need to get some honey for some 1 gallon test batches.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #19
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just did a cherry cyser today. It's going to be my spin on B. Nektar's Funky Monkey. I think they dry hop their's. I plan on dry hopping after 3 or 4 months. I'm using probably 2 oz of czech saaz.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #20
PattyM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Bumping this to see if anyone is working on a recipe. According to B. Nektar's website, Evil Genius has Chinook, Cluster and Cascade hops. Can anyone suggest which hop is used for which purpose (bitterness, flavor, aroma) and suggest some boil/addition timetable. I REALLY want to make something like this!

Primary: Braggot-NB Wildflower, Barleywine
Secondary: Sundown Cyser 2
Bottled: JAOM, Apfelwein, Sundown Cyser, 3 Week Sweet Mead, Cherry Apple Cider, Graff Apple Ale, NB Smashing Pumpkin Ale
Next: ,IPA Mead, Falls Bounty Cyser

Quick Reply