Fruit flies around mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marthz

Reaction score
Im new to mead, and I recently made my first batch. I don't really have the stuff to do it like a pro so I read on a guide that you can use a balloon while its fermenting, instead of an airlock so I did that. Turned it inside out,poked a couple holes in it,put it on, and let it stand. Went to look at it the next day and there were fruit flies all around it. None got in because of the balloon but I just dont like them being there. What is a good way to get rid of them?

wash the outside of the carboy or whatever youre using for a fermentation vessel real good with warm soapy water (keep the balloon on while doing this to prevent getting stuff in your drink) rinse it really really well. make sure where you are keeping it to ferment doesnt have anything spilled onto it then put a fresh balloon onto it. you may not even realize if there is a tiny amount of residue anywhere on the container drawing the little buggers there and the gasses escaping as little as they are out the pin holes are keeping them there. Might not be a bad idea that while you are cleaning it off spray the area it will be sitting with a little lysol or something similar just to drive them away even more.

Put an air lock on it....they're like a dollar
Bought one, and waiting for it to come in the mail.

wash the outside of the carboy or whatever youre using for a fermentation vessel real good with warm soapy water (keep the balloon on while doing this to prevent getting stuff in your drink) rinse it really really well. make sure where you are keeping it to ferment doesnt have anything spilled onto it then put a fresh balloon onto it. you may not even realize if there is a tiny amount of residue anywhere on the container drawing the little buggers there and the gasses escaping as little as they are out the pin holes are keeping them there. Might not be a bad idea that while you are cleaning it off spray the area it will be sitting with a little lysol or something similar just to drive them away even more.

I did this, don't have any lysol though. So going to wait and see how it looks in the morning. Hopefully they are gone.

Thanks everyone.

Fruit flies are attracted to the carbon dioxide produced from fermenting fruit, the same concept in brewing. If you let any flies into your mixture it will ruin it quickly. It only takes a single contaminated object to start a negative growth inside your container. Ode du bacteria is the essence and it is not fun.

You can use vodka or starsan in your airlock instead of water to further confusticate those flies.
Regards, GF.

I use starsan myself, mainly because I had ir readily available, it foams a little when fermentation is full on but not bad and is expected.

Also everytime you touch your fermenter, whether it be to aerate, degass, add nutrients, look at the pretty colors, wipe it down with a damp cloth, I use starsan that I keep in a spray bottle, quick spritz on the cloth, it keeps everything looking nice too.

I have a bit of ocd about dust and fingerprints on thing plus it helps keep a relatively sanitized environment.

TheBrewingMedic said:
I use starsan myself, mainly because I had ir readily available, it foams a little when fermentation is full on but not bad and is expected.

Also everytime you touch your fermenter, whether it be to aerate, degass, add nutrients, look at the pretty colors, wipe it down with a damp cloth, I use starsan that I keep in a spray bottle, quick spritz on the cloth, it keeps everything looking nice too.

I have a bit of ocd about dust and fingerprints on thing plus it helps keep a relatively sanitized environment.

Get a semi opaque plastic carboy like mine. When stuff is in it the thing looks clear, but all fingerprints and dust are invisible.

Get a semi opaque plastic carboy like mine. When stuff is in it the thing looks clear, but all fingerprints and dust are invisible.

I'd still know they were there lol...I fully believe touchscreens of any type (cell phone, ipod, computer) were invented to aggravate the hell out of me and that they send subliminal messages to my kids to eat the messiest possible snacks while using them.

Back