Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Dark mead clearing question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
DashCooper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dark mead clearing question

With dark meads, how do you know if its done clearing? I have a blueberry mead that is so dark I can't shine a dive flashlight through it. How with I know when its done clearing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If your brew is that heavily pigmented, then you'd have to rely on looking at the bottom of the fermenter.

There's usually a change in colour where the sediment starts.

It may be worth hitting it with 2 part finings, as then you'd only have to rack the once. Then when you're confident the finings have finished dropping the sediment you should be ok to rack it off for bottling or other processing......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 23

pulling out a hydrometer sample should also give you a better idea of whether it's clear, although if it's only partially cleared, the sample from the top may look different that what you'd siphon from the lower levels of the carboy. How long has this mead been sitting for at this point anyway?

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I agree with biochemedic. With the darker meads, it is really hard to see what's going on in bulk, pour a bit of hydrometer sample into a glass to get a better idea of where it is at. But only if it has been a decent amount of time since you began.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
DashCooper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

oh, this mead hasnt been sitting NEARLY long enough.. i just wondered what the process was for clearing darker meads. It makes sense to check it during a hydro check.

It's been pretty amazing so far; this mead is two months old- just now racked a third time. Its darkened considerably without any finings.
Now, at the very top of the carboy with a REALLY bright flashlight, I'm starting to see a nice ruby glow..

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply