Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Cool cucumber mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Insomniac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Why did this not come up when I asked for odd recipes to try the other week?! Will have to give this a go in on of my mini 2litre carboys...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
vahallasbrew2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll have to grow my own I believe so I'll get a lamp I just hope the police don't think I'm growin the marijuana cause the drive by with heat sensors to check houses cause they uses lamps like that to grow weed lol any do thanks illget started on the herb patch asap, isomo if you brew a batch can you keep me updated on it for the books this is one if my recipes I put up for experimenters the more data I have the better conclusion I can form thanks a whole lots.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

*following*

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 02-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Will do!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

OK so I checked it approx. 15 – 16 hours after pitching yeast and they are going nuts, here are some observations:

The crisp grass green color is no longer so. It is super cloudy from the expanding yeast I can only assume and it looks much paler. Almost like a lime green juice but “cloudy” for a lack of better explanation. I took the airlock off and pushed down the cap of vegetable matter with a sterilized spoon to introduce some more oxygen for the yeasties. The smell was not what I expected. It was a complex smell, it has an initial sour note “But not rancid”, kind of a grassy/vegetable body and the faintest amount of mint in the background. I had to take several sniffs to figure it all out. Not a very “cool” Cucumbery smell that I was looking for. I will continue slightly swirling 2X a day with opening the airlock to punch down the cap once a day for 4 more days. After that I will just swirl around when I think the cap is getting dry or if I think CO2 is building up too much. If I see any other significant changes to sight or smell I will let you know.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
vahallasbrew2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alrighty thanks a bunch I got the data saved keep it coming

Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
vahallasbrew2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
Will do!
Awesome thank you

Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
Arpolis
Recipes 

The activity in cucumber mead has slowed down a bit and is not as active as I think it could be. I am comparing activity to a recent experiment 1/2 gal batch I did that was a vanilla chamomile herbal tea metheglin that has nothing but loos leaf herbal tea, honey and water. (no additional nutrients just like the cucumber mead). This leads me to believe that cucumber alone does not have the amino nitrates needed to start up the strongest yeast colony. I will still leave this alone and will see if it will ferment dry as intended or het stick short of that. As far as I know properly taken care of bread yeast can make it to 14%ABV so we shal see.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
vahallasbrew2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok it slowed Down possibly due to low amino nitrates altitude thanks I got it recorded, yeah I've heard that bread yeast are good till about 14% to that's what I'm using in my cinnamon banana and raisin mead and it slowed down quite a bit 2 weeks into to fermenting. Hmm I dont think bananas have a good amino supply either the raisins I'm not sure about l, I'll do some more r&d to see if I can find other ingredients to add that supports the flavor I'm wanting and add enough nutrients to keep the yeast doin work
Thanks a lot or keeping me on tab!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Arpolis
Recipes 

Without changing the flavor profile too much and can't think of any additional ingrediants that would compliment and add apropriat nutrients. An earlier post said adding a little lime works well with cucumber water, which may work well with cucumber mead. But lime does not add a lot of amino nitrates according to nutritiondata.self.com. I you want to play with other ingredient ideas then try that sight to see what the amino acid & nutrient levels are. I think DAP at the package suggested amounts may be the easiest answer. I just hoped this would run like my JOAM or metheglin and not need the man made additions. Back to the lime idea I think I will add a slice or two of peeled lime to the secondary unless that "sour" note does not calm down.

Quick Reply