LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Clearing mead

I have had my mead sitting for a little over 2 months. As seen below.

image-3411327394.jpg

I will be away for the next 3 months.....maybe 4. (Military) Then I planned on bottling the mead. I would like the mead to be pretty clear by then. I will be stationed in a new place in 4 months so I will be limited on time to bottle this mead before I move. But I would like it clear.

Should I leave it alone and bottle it in 4 months hoping for the best?

Should I add some sparkolloid and try to have it clear for the next 4 months? Then bottle on my week home.

Will it still have a chance to clear in the bottle?

Cheers

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Rack it before you get deployed and then again when you get home. If you're being moved soon after getting home, and it's not clear, just transport it to your new home in bulk and continue to let it settle/clear. If you're concerned about how it will travel to your new home, depending on how far it is, you could get a single 5 gallon keg, transfer it to there, and hit it with enough CO2 to pressurize/seal the lid. Then purge the headspace and release the pressure via the lid release. You don't need a full kegging CO2 system for this. One of the pocket chargers will do the job (or should). You might use a couple of 16 gram CO2 cartridges (use the ones made for brewing, not airgun types) in the process. But, at least you'll be able to safely transport it without having to worry about the carboy breaking (being dropped, something hitting it, etc.). If you can get a large enough fridge, or score a chest freezer, you could try cold crashing it to get it to clear too. I would do that long before adding anything like sparkolloi.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would rack it before you leave and hopefully when you get back it will be crystal clear, needing a racking when you get home. Then you could decide whether to continue to bulk age or bottle. Just make sure your airlock is topped up, consider using glycerin as it does not evaporate, or a blend of pure grain/glycerin. Will it be kept at a stable temperature in your absence?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Yeah. It stays a steady 70 degrees where it is right now. I wish it could be cooler but I don't control the heat

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Where is your next station going to be when you get back? You have forced bulk aging, probably turn out to be a good thing! WVMJ

Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
johns
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

What kind of mead is it? Some meads take longer to clear than others. If its just a honey wine then it should clear fairly soon. If its a chocolate coffee mead then it might take up to 2 years. Most meads improve with time, so I would bulk age it for asap.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Kmcogar
Recipes 

image-2114623855.jpg

It's a honey wine with vanilla, cinnamon, and some black tea added. I started it ferment 2 weeks before I left for some training. It wasn't finished fermenting so I had to leave it for another 2 months with all the spices in it. I just rack it into another carboy yesterday minus all the spices. Hopefully it will clear a good amount in the next 4 months.

No idea where my next duty station will be. I won't know for another month.

image-2625253360.jpg

Here's the taster I took. It tasted ok. 4 months will do it some good.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Golddiggie
Recipes 

It will clear over the next ~4 months. How much only time will tell. If it's over 14% ABV, though, I'd plan on letting it go a full year from mix to bottle. When you get back, follow my earlier post.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

It would clear better if you could place it somewhere cool while you're gone if possible. I like this time of year because it's 55 degrees in my cellar.

Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It would clear better if you could place it somewhere cool while you're gone if possible. I like this time of year because it's 55 degrees in my cellar.
+1

I'm getting 47 degrees in the unfinished side of the basement and about 52 in the finished side today. Got bottles of mead, and such, in the unfinished side and kegs carbonating in the finished side (no keezer/fridge, just using ambient air cooling).

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply