Christmas-y Mead (will accept suggestions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechemister

Reaction score
I'll be making this recipe for the first time in a couple of weeks, but I'm not entirely sure on the proportions. Suggestions and feedback would be great.

For a 1 gallon batch:

3lb Clover honey
1 packet Lalvin D-47 yeast
1 large orange (more for pH than anything)
20 raisins
1 whole clove
1 and 1/2 stick cinnamon 4"
6 crushed juniper berries
~1 tspn vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp crushed fresh ginger
a pinch of nutmeg (literally just however much fits between my finger and my thumb)

I know this is a lot of ingredients, especially for a 1 gallon batch. So I may have to scale some things up or down, so I don't drown out the mead with too many/too strong flavors. That said, I was hoping y'all could give me some feedback on my proportions.

Like I said, I want this to be Christmas-y, so I want the more dominant flavors to be cinnamon followed by a noticable, yet not too strong piney/spicy flavor from the juniper, ginger, and clove. I want the vanilla and nutmeg flavor to be merely a hint, something of a distant background taste that softly blends in a homey flavor.

Process:
I'm thinking I will steep the cinnamon, crushed ginger, crushed juniper, and clove for about 30 minutes, then add the honey and stir well. Then I'll transfer to the carboy, add the cut up orange, vanilla, raisins, and nutmeg and shake vigorously to aerate. Add yeast and let ferment. You know what to do from here.

As far as the process goes, I'm stuck between steeping the cinnamon or just letting it sit in the carboy during the whole fermentation, since that might soak up more of the flavor. Feedback on that would be awesome as well.

I also am looking to make a christmas style mead this good .So how did it turn out?I am new to this, so did you let the must sit for 24 hours before adding the yeast?

I started it about 9 days ago and it's still in the primary (for at least another 2 weeks). I didn't wait 24 hours to add the yeast, not really sure the point of that. As far as the fermentation goes, it's going really well.
As for taste there's no telling, until I taste test it before the secondary, but I know it does definitely foolish to put in the orange. I'm new to mead making so I was under impression that the orange was only for pH and nutrient, but that's not the case. It looks like this mead isn't really going to scream christmas because of the orange. Also, I'm definitely going to be adding more juniper, probably another small pinch of nutmeg and maybe more cinnamon for the secondary.
I'm 99% confident this recipe will be how I want it as long as you don't put in the orange.

Back