Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bottling Joe's Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
edenri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling Joe's Mead

Okay, I'm almost 2 months in and I think I'm about ready to bottle? My question is, do I add anything to if first, such as campden or pot. sorbate? I'm not sure how sweet this stuff is now, but if I do want to sweeten is it difficult? As far as bottles go, are traditional wine bottles fine? Or maybe 375ml ones?

Basically any info from those who have bottled this stuff and their methods etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Eddy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

wine bottles are fine. if you plan to sweeten, you either need non-fermentable sugar (lactose, or an artificial sweetner like splenda)...or you use campden/sorbate to nuke the yeast, then sweeten with sugar/honey/whatever.

if you sweeten, take a known volume (like 4oz) and carefully measure your sugar, and taste as you go til it's right. then do the math to convert to the remaining volume.
and stir gently...you don't want to oxidize it.

i like synthetic corks vs. real cork. no issues with drying out or crumbling.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-01-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenri
Okay, I'm almost 2 months in and I think I'm about ready to bottle? My question is, do I add anything to if first, such as campden or pot. sorbate? I'm not sure how sweet this stuff is now, but if I do want to sweeten is it difficult? As far as bottles go, are traditional wine bottles fine? Or maybe 375ml ones?

Basically any info from those who have bottled this stuff and their methods etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Eddy
Mine was already super sweet, I bottled it in amber 16 oz flip top bottles. Making a couple more gallons this weekend.

Quick Reply