bad water / good water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermontFreedom

Reaction score
I am beginning to think perhaps water has more to do with off flavors in my meads and wines.

But I've made excellent wine and really bad wine with the same water.

How much influence on final flavor will water have?

I have mildly hard water (well water) where I live, but it goes through a salt softener.

I've used store-bought spring water for one recipe, but thus far have been unable to test my batches, but my fear is they're all going to be disappointing.

Maybe I just need some patience?

Actually, unless the water tastes bad, you might be better off bypassing the softener. Too much salt can inhibit yeast growth, whereas a good range of minerials can make for strong growth.

You might try making two 1 gallon batches from the same honey & yeast.

VermontFreedom said:
I am beginning to think perhaps water has more to do with off flavors in my meads and wines.But I've made excellent wine and really bad wine with the same water.
What off flavours are those? It seems you haven't got a real problem with water. Without further details of recipes and what you've drunk before to compare your brews to then it'll be hard for the rest of us to comment. If hard water proves a problem just continue buying spring water.

Back