Is it important to boil water for mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCHombrew

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to AG brewing and was just curious whether or not I needed to be boiling my water before I add it to my MLT @ strike temp. Seems a little unnecessary, but I don't want to take chances. Tks all!

Sorry, just realized I was posting this in the introduce yourself area.

Nope. You're going to boil it after you sparge anyway. Just heat your water to mash-in temp & add 10 or 12 degrees for the temp drop once you put the hot water in your MLT.

Also, keep in mind the temp of your grains.. Last brew I had a heck of a time hitting my mash temp, then I realize that I had stored my crushed grains in my garage where it was around 50 degrees.. doh!

Nope. You're going to boil it after you sparge anyway. Just heat your water to mash-in temp & add 10 or 12 degrees for the temp drop once you put the hot water in your MLT.

Also, keep in mind the temp of your grains.. Last brew I had a heck of a time hitting my mash temp, then I realize that I had stored my crushed grains in my garage where it was around 50 degrees.. doh!

+1. Also, if brewing outside, you may need to compensate for the ambident air temp. On my last brew, it was almost 15 degrees outside and I, too, had a hard time getting to mash temp.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know what you mean about the temp diff. My first AG it was 20ish outside & my grain was practically freezing. Had to bring my MLT inside to keep it in-range, and the boil took forever to start after mash-out.

Back