Hello from the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished my yeast starter and looking forward to my first brew in 8 years. My first couple of 5 gal batches came out a little yeasty so I quit. I will master the brew this time!

MississippiShark said:
All went ok. Tried getting my OSG and got 1.03. The recipe said I should have 1.055, so we'll see how it goes.
Is this an extract brew? If so you probably didn't mix the wort with the top off water. It takes quite a bit of stirring to compleyely mix it. Also, Did you top off to 5 gallons?

1 gallon of water into the primary, then added the wort (2.5 gal before boil), then topped off with 2 more gallons of water. I didn't stir, but swirled the carboy before adding the yeast. I'm thinking I might have got a bad reading. I used a sterilized turkey baster to extract the sample, but if was off the very top of the carboy.

Welcome to the board!

We need more people from the gulf coast here. I'm in Waveland.

I think you'll find this site priceless for its info and quick question responses. There's alot of great info already here, so please do a search or check the wiki and I'm sure your answer will be there.

Welcome!

:mug:

This site has a ton on info! I moved to Ocean Springs from San Francisco 3 months before the storm. The lack of "good beer" selections in MS made me want to try brewing again. I wish MS had more micros like Lazy Magnolia! Southern Pecan rocks.

Actually, I work at LM. I run the bottling line and also am a brewer. We do tours every Saturday at 10:30am. Come on by. We also sell supplies to homebrewers, so if you need something, like bulk grains, we can help out.

MississippiShark said:
I'm drinking it too early, but DAMN! It tastes Soo Good! This stuff rocks after only ~5 weeks from flame on!

Depending on what you brewed and your techniques, 5 weeks might be all you need.

Now on to all grain!

:cross:

First Batch in MS was texas red ale from AHS and drinking nice at 6 weeks. Bottling #2 CA Common this weekend. #3 1& 1/2 week in primary Boont Amber clone. #4 Ed's Apfelwein and #5 is going to brew this weekend a hop brown ale from AHS. I got the bug bad!

Yes you have moved to the beer wasteland that is Mississippi.... but there is hope. Check out www.msbrew.com It's a webpage featuring alot of Mississippi related brew topics, information, etc. Currently a very important article is posted. As the MEBA movement has succeeded in getting a bill to the a house sub committee for changing our ABW law from 5% to 14%. Anyway, go check it out there's also a link to a great discussion group with lots of info. Check it out, I think you'll enjoy. I'd be lacking in my southern hospitality if I didn't welcome you too our great state and ask that you please look past the beer laws.

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps Lazy Mag is our oasis in the wasteland, thanks Spykd!

Pps As soon as my 1st batch, Fat Tire Clone is complete, I'd like to send a bottle to ya Spykd, yours is an opinion I'd value.

Ppps When summer comes and I have a chance to attend our local homebrew meetings I'm gonna try to put together a little field trip to Waveland early one Sat for a tour of Lazy Mag.

Cool, I'd love to critique your wares! You can send it to the brewery (goes for all ya'll!) ATTN: Darren.

If you call ahead or email ([email protected]) I'll make sure I'm on hand to give the tour.

Look forward to meeting you!

Back