Hello from Michigan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuclearguy

Reaction score
New to brewing, any suggestions on a forgiving brew for the first timer. I have read a lot about brewpots and most lit. says use stainless, but I talked with supply shop owner and he said he boils in aluminun. Is there a big difference? Do I need to clean or prep differently? Thanks

I don't. Been brewing for a few years now with no problems. I just use the sanitizer on everything. There is a homebrew place on Mound and Chicago that has good prices and they are always willing to help.

Best of Brewing

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

On your first post, you hit on a "hot spot"! Some use stainless and some swear by aluminum. If you look around the forum a bit and maybe search for aluminum you'll find loads of information. But in my opinion, either is fine. It's really up to you to decide what is best. Both have pros and cons and have their supporters. For me, cost is a big consideration!

Welcome. I was born in Midland, and grew up around Arcadia, Cadillac. But I have called Texas home for the last 25 years. No questions are too tough or off the wall here.

Welcome michigander. Generally darker brews are a little more forgiving. A brown ale would be a good brew to start with. Either find a simple recipe or buy a kit online.

IMO midwestsupplies.com and northernbrewer are my favorites. Fast shipping to our area.

Wow, is this the official "If you're a brewer in Michigan who's not a member of HBT sign-up day"?

Welcome, fellow Michigander. I'm down by Covert. We need to organize a gathering!!!!

My first brew was a pale ale, and it rocked!

6.6 pounds LME
1 ounce Centennial Hops at boil
.5 ounce Chinook hops at flameout
Munton's dry yeast in the tan package

Excellent!

Another fellow Michigander here -- kinda up by Flint -- You do have some nice choises for LHBS , one at 21mile and garfield is nice and also one in Waterford that is new but has a ton of stuff.

Welcome from a fellow Michigander, I'd say for your first brew make a style that you like. If you like IPA's or Stouts then that is what you should make. It should keep your interests piqued and inspire you to brew more.

Don't be afraid to ask questions (or search :D). :mug:

djamwolfe said:
Another fellow Michigander here -- kinda up by Flint -- You do have some nice choises for LHBS , one at 21mile and garfield is nice and also one in Waterford that is new but has a ton of stuff.

i am in mount morris... going to be looking for some brewing stuff once i get back from texas

Back