Greetings from Latham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbrophy

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tom and I of course am new to the brewing world. Since, I don't have much room to brew and much searching online I've decided on the Cooper's DIY kit. I finished my first batch of the Cooper's Lager and didn't know what to expect. After first and secondary fermentation, the beer has a slight apple aroma and flavor. At least that is what I believe it is. I'm on my second batch and this one is a Coopers Stout. I'd really be interested in any feedback from anyone who has done this brand to see if they had the same result. Once time allows, I'd really like to expand on flavors but right now I think I'll just keep two hands on the wheel and stay between the lines.

The temperature you ferment at is important. Especially with lager yeast. I haven't done the Coopers kit, but apple flavor doesn't sound right.

That's what I thought. From what I've read, the yeast is more of an Ale yeast rather than Lager so, this is truly not a Lager. According to the directions, they say to ferment between 18 - 28 C which I did. I wish I could tell you the type of yeast but it just says Cooper's. I'm currently at the end of my Cooper's Stout and hope to bottle tomorrow. We will see if there is any difference. Thanks for the feedback.

One thing you might consider is upgrading to a more robust Yeast like Safale S05.

Another is purchasing some Star San sanitizer. This stuff is really great for making sure everything that touches the cooled wort is germ-free.

Do you shop at Hammersmith? I haven't tried Coopers kits, but perhaps posting in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum would get more response than the introductions subforum.

Sometimes adding sugar to a recipe can make it tart/apple-like as well.

I would suggest shopping at Northern Brewer online for recipe kits.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits .I have had a few of them and they have always turn out well.

Latest posts

Back