Back... From RI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUCC98

Reaction score
So…it’s been quite a while since I have posted here. There are a LOT of newer posters, actually, since I was on…..so….figure I’d re-introduce myself.

I’ve been a homebrewer since Nov. ’04. Started out using extracts w/ specialty grains from kits mostly. Once I formulated my first recipe, a Magic Hat #9 clone, I was off the kits for good.

I took a brief hiatus from Nov. ’05 – June ’06. Having bought a house and got married, I was trying to figure out a way to continue my hobby without incurring the wrath of my lovely wife from making the house smell like a brewery. I finally broke down, took the giant leap, and started all-grain brewing. Bought a Bayou Classic Burner, two converted coolers from my local HBS, and cooked up a Brown Ale. Absolute perfection from start to finish.

My next batch nearly made me switch back to extract brewing. I tried to clone Sam Adam’s Winter Lager. It was over-spiced, under-carbonated, and worst of all, EXTREMELY watered down. I kinda rushed that batch due to certain time constraints I had and, as a result, reverted back to extract methodology adding 2 gallons of water to my 3 gallons I got from my sparge. There seriously needs to be a term for tanking your brew THAT badly. I forced myself to choke down every last drop of that vile stuff to serve as a reminder NEVER to do that again.

It worked. My last batch I made a stout, and it came out perfectly, save for the actual amount I ended up bottling. I sparged about 5.5 to 6 gallons to boil. After to boil, I was left with barely 5. After the ferment, I transferred over to my secondary about 4 gallons, and only bottled about 3.75 gallons in the end. I’m not completely sure how this all came to be, but I’m working on getting a much larger brew kettle so I can sparge 7, ferment 6, and hopefully bottle roughly 5 gallons.

I’m going to making a new move over to kegging. I figure if I keep 4 cornies on hand, and keep a steady rotation, I can brew once a month, condition it in the keg for roughly 8 weeks, and always have homebrew on-hand.

So, to sum up, to date….I’ve brewed:

A Magic Hat #9 Clone
Imperial Stout
Brown Ale
Helles Bock
IPA
Hard Lemonade
Blueberry Wheat
Honey Wheat (not great)
ESB
Chocolate Cherry Stout (so-so)
Red Ale
Hard Cider
Weisenbock…..the SEVERELY tanked Winter Lager…
Dry Irish Stout (Currently bottle conditioning)

Well, uh, welcome back from one of the " new guys" who has sprung up since you left! I'm hoping to make the move to kegging myself in the next year or so. What's next up for you?

Well...I'm thinking my Stout will be ready end of Feb. I'm brewing again at the end of Jan....hopefully keeping up with the monthly schedule I've set for myself.

Next will probably be my "120 Days" IPA...ready for March.
Feb. will be my "Wild Irish Rose" Red Ale...ready for April.
Mar. will be my "Blueberry Helles" Helles Bock...ready for May.
Apr. will be a recipe I got from here, slightly modified - "Vanilla Cream Ale" Cream Ale...ready for Jun.

That's all I've got so far...I've been mulling the idea of a "Big Papi" Barley Wine too.....:D

Back