Keg Appropriation and Future Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pubwilson

Reaction score
Finally got my hands on 3 Sankes last night to begin my long journey into creating a brewing rig. I tried my best to get kegs legally and found a keg party store that had some old one laying out back.
The thing is the owner claimed they had been there 5 years and he couldn't get rid of them cause the brewer would not take them back. The crazy part is that all 3 were topped off with 5 yeay old beer. I had to go around the back and select the ones I wanted and load them into my truck. Moving fully lodaded kegs is not for the weak! I then went by my LHBS and scored an old leaky tap for free and went home and drained all the beer down the street.
thanks to Bobby_M for the info.

Questions
1. Did I aquire my kegs in a legal enough fashion?
2. Can someone please post better pics of their keggle cutting jig? (Wooden one)
3. Where is the best place to find fittings and what fittings should I go with? QD? NPT? Mixture?
4. Where can I find some Barkeep's Friend or something comparable?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas from a brewer looking to advance.

1. I'd sleep fine at night in that situation.
Sankejig.jpg

3. www.buyfittingsonline.com or www.murrayequipment.com and what you use is highly related to what you want to install. Do you have a welder available for cheap? If so, welded couplings give you flexibility. If you want to keep everything flexible, quick disconnects certainly help.
4. You'll need more power than BKF to get kegs looking good. Without power tools, a good wet sanding will get you most of the way there. Otherwise, check out my polishing thread linked in the sig.

I acquired my used kegs the very same way, and I feel good about it.

I used a jig very similar to Bobby_M's above to cut my keggles. Perfect circles.

Shop around for fittings and be sure to factor in shipping (which can be quite expensive). Sometimes http://www.onlinemetals.com can be a good place for stainless.

--
Josh

I made the easiest and useful "jig" for cutting the top off of a keg. I used a 1 1/2" wide PVC pipe that was at least 6" long(I purchased 2 feet from Lowes). I measured up about 2 3/4" from the bottom. and drilled a hole about 5/16" thick straight through(both sides). I found a bolt that fit my personnel angle grinder (I think it was a 5/16" thickness and 4" long). While at Lowes, I just made sure it fit on the angle grinder top hole! I cut all three of my keg tops in about 30 minutes!! Recap:Hole in pvc pipe, 4"long bolt through hole, mounted to top of angle grinder, placed pvc pipe in hole of keg with down tube removed, and guided around the rim of the keg. I can post pics if this seems confusing?

Back