Hop Spider Variation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewPirate

Reaction score
I came across some electrical boxes at the hardware store and came up with an idea for a hop spider knockoff. Bought two of these boxes, and a metal hook. Materials only cost $8-9.

5894-img-5218.jpg

5895-img-5217.jpg

Bend up the tab on one side of one of the boxes to mount the hook. Drill the second hole through the box and use a small bolt/nut to secure.

5896-img-5214.jpg

Feed the paint strainer bag up through the bottom box, leaving the tabs/screws exposed.

5897-img-5220.jpg

Then hook the two electrical boxes together and tighten the screws to clamp onto the bag.

5898-img-5221.jpg

5899-img-5222.jpg

It's not necessarily as pretty as the hop spider, but it is all metal (avoiding any leaching concerns), and hangs from the side of the brew kettle, making it easier to stir the wort. It was also a quick and easy build.

I'm brewing a vanilla bourbon stout this weekend, so I'll have to post pictures of it in action and report back on how it works. :mug:

If anything can leech out of the plastic toilet fitting, I'd know about it. I've used my at least 75 times and I'm completely normal

Yeah, I'm not all that worried, but I know that some people are. The biggest motivator for me was being able to hang it off the side.

Back