Source for heating elemant nut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onejdn

Reaction score
I am building an electric HLT and will be using a hot water heating element. I will be drilling and installing it in my Keggle. Where are you guys getting the nut that fits the thread on the element? I know I've seen it in previous posts but I cant seem to find it now.

Thanks

I just finished doing this myself. I used a copper fitting as per the link below:

McMaster-Carr

I cut off the non treaded portion of the fitting to make it more compact. Although the above fitting is a tapered (NPT) thread, the fitting can grab enough threads to get a tight seal. Remember that with the rubber gasket for the element and the thickness of the pot/vessel, you are only using a few threads at best and I found that these fittings were able to grab enought threads to get a tight seal (YMMV). Note that I bought the fitting locally (not from McMaster) and that was one of the main reasons for going this route (I didn't want to have to order online). Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Greg

So, where do you use the o-ring? On my rig, I just used the gasket that came with the element on the outside of my pot with the nut on the inside. I just tightened it up just enough so it wouldn't leak. Use Oring in place of gasket??

So, where do you use the o-ring? On my rig, I just used the gasket that came with the element on the outside of my pot with the nut on the inside. I just tightened it up just enough so it wouldn't leak. Use Oring in place of gasket??

I did the same thing and it has worked so far. I imagine that the O-ring would be softer and might be helpful if the surface of your keg is really irregular and doesn't seal well with the original gasket.

Latest posts

Back