Motor For Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone on here, showed their grain mill motor, and it had a right angle reduction gearbox attached to the front of the motor.........Meaning no spinnin' pulleys and belts.
I believe the motor frame they used was a number "56" frame ,( your link is a "48" frame), and the gearbox used bolted to said frame configuration, thereby reducing the footprint of the whole shebang.
You'll get more "torqueage" going with the gearbox setup, in my opinion.
You'll also need no heat producing speed control for the motor going this route, if that particular application can even be "speed regulated".

Sorry I can't link ya' to the thread........

my setup is pretty much the same as at the link in #3, works great.

Some key bits:
1) how big of a mill are you planning on? If you're going for a larger mill you would want more power (1/2 or 2/3 hp)

2) gearbox works great though it costs more than pulley/sheaves. However i have little kids and i don't need them to loose any fingers in the belts so the few extra bucks is worth it to me.

3) reversible motor can be helpful in clearing jams but it's not critical.

my setup is pretty much the same as at the link in #3, works great.

Some key bits:
1) how big of a mill are you planning on? If you're going for a larger mill you would want more power (1/2 or 2/3 hp)

2) gearbox works great though it costs more than pulley/sheaves. However i have little kids and i don't need them to loose any fingers in the belts so the few extra bucks is worth it to me.

3) reversible motor can be helpful in clearing jams but it's not critical.

The only thing I would add is that it doesn't look like a capacitor is built in so starting with grain the mill could be difficult. I use a 1/3 HP with capacitor on a MM3 with a boston gear reducer and I have never had a problem.

Back