DIY carboy hauler/pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravisT

Reaction score
Hey HBT, just wanted to show a little project i just finished. You can get the basic idea from the pictures but i took a nylon strap and some nylon string(found in the beading/hobby section of walmart) and sewed this up today. It took me about 2hours to make, if you had a sewing machine it would be much easier. It works really well so far, i will keep an eye on my stitching as a haul 5gal of water around the house;). The commercial ones are not that expensive at about $9-$15, but i had some free time. This cost me about $4 to make.
Picture035-1.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture038.jpg

I am actually making a few of these as well... One thing I found while scouring pictures and actually inspecting "brew haulers" is that the ends are not just stitched to the other piece of webbing. They are looped over and then stitched to themselves and the other webbing is slid through that loop. This would be much safer... but then again, no more than this will be used, yours will probably last your lifetime. Good work.

I am actually making a few of these as well... One thing I found while scouring pictures and actually inspecting "brew haulers" is that the ends are not just stitched to the other piece of webbing. They are looped over and then stitched to themselves and the other webbing is slid through that loop. This would be much safer... but then again, no more than this will be used, yours will probably last your lifetime. Good work.

I was just going to say the same thing... the actual brew haulers have the webs looped over the top ring and sewn to themselves rather than directly to the top ring, I think that gives the stitches a better chance at surviving the load. However, if yours works, rock on! :rockin:

Don't waste time making all those silly devices. Go to your grocery store and get one of those dumb reusable grocery bags they have. They will fit a carboy (most). I had a bigger insulated one that I used for my bigger carboy and it has worked out perfectly. Many have the straps sewn all the way down to the bottom or even around the bottom.

blocks light (with a towel draped over top) and is easy to carry with no cobbled together devices. I was going to make a few special for brewing and sell them, but hey, go buy one for 3 bucks at your local target or grocery store!

ahhh yeah you guys are right, i just had online pic to go off of and didn't even think about it. The tread i used is super strong so i'll be ok. If i make another one i'll loop it for sure. ps just testing it out with water makes me wonder why i didn't make/buy one a long time ago. make moving carboys 3x easier.

I may take this project on when I get a sewing machine from a pawnshop... been looking for a while now....

I may take this project on when I get a sewing machine from a pawnshop... been looking for a while now....

don't let your buddies see that you have a sewing machine, even if you only use it for home brewing projects. They will take away your man card for the day.:p my friends found out that I learned to crochet and made myself a hat on winter....I still get reminded of that

Latest posts

Back