My new Counter Flow Chiller - First Trial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeMont

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Excuse me, I'm a little excited. Just finished up building and testing my 25 foot Counter Flow wort chiller, I had been using a immersion chiller. The situation I have is a little different than most as I have no running water to the shop where I brew, all the water has to be hauled in 5 gallon buckets or run a frozen hose many feet.
My cooling water is stored in a 35 gallon plastic garbage can, water is recycled and I add either bleach or iodophor to the water. and chilled with 6 - 2 liter frozen soda bottles, bringing the cooling water to about 42 degrees. Using a HF 264 GPH fountain pump I run the water through the chiller and into another buckets for recycling. Later I will just pour the water back into the storage barrel.
Results, Today I was able to take my 6 gallons of my gravity feed wort to 65 degrees in 13 minutes, using about 17 gallons, half my total supply, of cooling water. So, my brew day just got shorter, I don't have to stick my old immersion chiller in my wort anymore all for about $45.00 and change.

Nice work! Are you using the idophor or bleach to run through wort side/line first for sanitation? I'd stick with idophor or one step to eliminate the chance of bleach leaving an off flavor. If you are only treating the cooling water side (i.e. not sanitizing the wort side) I wouldn't bother.

JF thanks Yes I am only using the isophor in the cooling water side. That water sits there covered between brewing days. I inspect all the connections to my lines for wear and leaks. During the brew day, I pull off about five gallons for cleanup. This has worked well with just an immersion chiller and know with the Counter chiller it is so much better.

Latest posts

Back