Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Immersion Chiller Tutorial Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #41
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4631 Times on 4534 Posts
Likes Given: 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Cool Jay, let me know how much water leaks into your wort. I was lying about knowing how to sweat pipe, I just watched Norm Abrams do it on TV once ;-)
Actually, watching your video reminded me why I hate propane torches so much. I can now do that with MAPP gas (the yellow bottles) torch in about 10-15 seconds start to finish what you showed in 30 seconds sped up faster than realtime. Propane also tends to dry out the flux before the metal is hot enough to start wicking the solder into the joint because you are applying the heat for so much longer... thus a higher failure rate on your joints (especially for noobs)

MAPP gas is the shizzle, so all you DIY folks don't bother messin' round with the propane.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #42
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think burning the flux is a common problem no matter what heat source you use. I like to heat far away from the joint for a few seconds, then get the heat concentrated to the work area right before applying the solder. I do have a MAPP tank now but it's not THAT much different.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #43
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4631 Times on 4534 Posts
Likes Given: 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I think burning the flux is a common problem no matter what heat source you use. I like to heat far away from the joint for a few seconds, then get the heat concentrated to the work area right before applying the solder. I do have a MAPP tank now but it's not THAT much different.
Agree to disagree. Time and failure rate are of utmost importance and I have never had flux dry out on a MAPP gas joint (assuming you are doing it right!). Not to mention I soldered the 8 joints on my MT drain manifold (18 actual connections) in roughly 90 seconds.

There is a reason you will never see a professional plumber use propane vs MAPP. When you have to warranty your work and hours matter on fixed-rate jobsites, it makes a big difference.

Like I said, a single 90 degree elbow like that requires about 10 seconds of heat application and both ends of the elbow are ready for final sweating. Propane takes longer.

Also nevermind that with propane running for so much longer per joint, that in real on-site plumbing applications, you create a much higher risk of starting a fire.

EDIT: And if you are starting from scratch as a noob and have to buy the equipment, a MAPP gas kit ain't that much extra on top of a Propane one, IMO. And a good experience will give you the confidence to tackle other jobs you might never have considered. I honestly think the plumbers union subsidizes the propane kits to scare people into hiring a plumber after the first couple joints they make fail.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #44
icantbejon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't solder, so I'm having my brother in law who is a plumber build this for me. Thanks for the video and information.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #45
Rowdybowdy07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ive made this chiller, Excellent thinking of running 25 feet of 1/2 in copper in a smaller coil down the middle connected by two copper ts

to increase the surface area and runnning cold water down the middle of the boil as well Should increase the cooling as well

Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #46
77bawls
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Any idea what fittings you need for a faucet connection instead of hose fittings? I brew in my kitchen for now.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #47
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

We have a faucet to garden hose adapter that works for most models.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply