Single Tier Design Ideas - Modifying Existing Steel Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
Saved these from the scrap bin at work today. They are designed to be forklift charger stands. Each is 26" x 36" and 36" tall. Each is designed to have 500 lbs sitting on the top. I am planning on setting this up as a single tier HERMS system.

I have a couple of goals with the build.

1) fit it into the same basic footprint as my current miter saw table/brew table.

2) do the initial build and then add the automation components later, a bit at a time, without having to replace any of the initial components (I will make an exception on the burners).

The table build should be pretty easy. Cut the top off, take 12" out of the uprights, and weld it back together. I will cut the 2'nd stand in half and do the same to it, then weld them together to get a total top deck of 54" x 36".

I'm debating how to handle cutting open the table top for the burners. I can't decide if I want to cut in a 16" x 36" opening and adding cross members for the keggles to rest on, or cut 15" circular openings and center the keggles directly over them. If I go with the circular openings I will need to add something to vent the exhaust from the burners or cut a couple of holes in the skirts. My fear in going this route is that the entire table possibly getting hot.

For the build itself I think I am in pretty good shape. I have 2 keggles, getting one more should be easy. I am leaning toward going with a manual HERMS system with one pump initially, but set the design up so that I can add an additional pump later for ease of use.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Back