Johnson Controls Help Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewJew

Reaction score
Hello, First off I would like to say that I am amazed at the amount of know-how and craftsmanship on this forum. I have spent hours looking at what you all have created.
That being said, I would like to call upon your collective mind for some assistance.

I came upon a johnson controls A28AB-1 Two-Stage temp controller, and I have no idea how to wire it for use in my keezer to keep it at 40*f. I have an extension cord cut and stripped but if someone could tell me in layman's terms where to put each wire, that would be most appreciated.
I have the operation instructions here:http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/121090.PDF but they are hieroglyphics to me.

Thanks in advance,
~Michael

0928011800.jpg

0928011800a.jpg

Connect the dots anyone? :cross:

Oh HELLS no! Do NOT connect this controller in that manner! Aside from possibly killing someone, it will certainly trip the mains breaker or blow the mains fuse.

Please refer to the diagram on page 2 of the pdf you provided. It shows both single and dual stage connections, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do you route the freakin' safety ground or neutral wire through the controller!

For a keezer without a heater, the only connections through the controller should be the mains hot wire (black) coming in and the switched hot wire (black or red, dealer's choice) going out to the freezer's compressor.

The incoming hot (black wire) should attach to the bottom-right screw (red indicator) and the outgoing hot (black or red) should attach to the top-right screw (yellow indicator).

The neutral (white) wires for both in and out should connect together, and the safety ground (green) wires for both in and out should connect together. THEY MUST NOT BE CONNECTED TO THE CONTROLLER!

Cheers! (and YIKES!)

Latest posts

Back