Electric hand beater/mixer motor for grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
So SWMBO got a new electric mixer (the benchtop kind with bowl) for her birthday so the old beaten up hand one has been given the flick... that was until I notice the motor is 350 W (approx. 0.45 HP).
Given this will be spinning at 1500 RPM (50 hz over here, am I right with that speed?) do you guys think this will have enough grunt to turn my 2" roller mill?
Ofcorse I will need to reduce it down to get in the 150 - 200 RPM range.

Wow. Kitchen equipment for a birthday present? Must be a cultural thing - on this side of the Western Ditch there'd be repercussions galore ;)

Anyway...If you step down the mixer motor revolutions to something reasonable for a mill you'll also be multiplying the motor's torque at the mill shaft, so you should have way more than enough power to spin the mill...

Cheers!

i have no real contribution to this thread other than i love kitchen equipment as b-day/xmas gifts. Ive gradually assembled several thousand dollars in high end kitchen knives this way, not to mention my meat slicer, meat grinder and sausage stuffer :)

i have no real contribution to this thread other than i love kitchen equipment as b-day/xmas gifts. Ive gradually assembled several thousand dollars in high end kitchen knives this way, not to mention my meat slicer, meat grinder and sausage stuffer :)

+1 the SWMBO and I both love to get kitchen/barbeque equipment for gifts.

sorry :off:

My wife begged and pleaded for a sewing machine for xmas one year. She has also received and been excited for a new vacuum cleaner. You just do not give a present like that unless it was requested...

My wife begged and pleaded for a sewing machine for xmas one year. She has also received and been excited for a new vacuum cleaner. You just do not give a present like that unless it was requested...

That is the key, get them what they want!
Although my better half is getting annoyed that every birthday/xmas present request is for brewing gear!

Back