Electric motor + Mill - Need Assistance w/ Pulley System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoitte

Reaction score
I have a mill and acquired an electric motor. I don't know the best way to connect the two but I would much rather flip a switch and have this motor run my mill as opposed to hand cranking or attaching a drill.

There are several posts on here with links to buy parts, but it seems like most people who post already have an idea of what they're looking for. Are the only items necessary just a pulley on each (motor / mill), a belt that is sized for the pulleys an voila?

Looking for a little elaboration on process to completion.

P.S. Is there a maximum speed I should be running? When I turn the motor on it seems to spin quite fast for what I'd expect a mill to run at.

You have to find the RPM of the motor. Then google for online calculator/reference chart to size the pulleys to a target RPM at the mill. Then calculate the belt length from there. Do keep in mind that your mounting system will need to have some amount of play in it to allow for tensioning the belt after it is installed.

Do keep in mind that your mounting system will need to have some amount of play in it to allow for tensioning the belt after it is installed.

Thanks!

Are you saying I will need to play with/move the motor and mill closer/further away from each other to find the correct tension since the belt will stretch (or for other reasons)?

Also, check the recommendations of the manufacture of the mill you have for target speed. IIRC, target speeds are between 100 to 200 RPM depending on mills.

Thanks!

Are you saying I will need to play with/move the motor and mill closer/further away from each other to find the correct tension since the belt will stretch (or for other reasons)?

Yes. You will need to have a way to adjust the distance between the motor and mill. Not just because the belt will stretch over time but also to make it easier to install the belt.

It has been years since I motorized mine but, I'd also suggest you plan your set-up around the use of standard automotive belt sizes. That way, if the belt breaks for any reason, you can just run to the local car parts store for a replacement.

Last edited:
Gear reduction unit or a VFD is another way. I am not in favor of the pulley system. 20:1 or 15:1 reduction ratio would work. I am working on one myself.

You can find a decent price gear reduction unit at surpluscenter.com.

Good lucks

Gear reduction unit or a VFD is another way. I am not in favor of the pulley system. 20:1 or 15:1 reduction ratio would work. I am working on one myself.

You can find a decent price gear reduction unit at surpluscenter.com.

Good lucks

If I am not to use a pulley on my mill with an electric motor what would I use instead?

Hook up a chain link sprocket to a bicycle pedal. Human power application

I suppose if you'd rather exercise in the middle of a brew day than be efficient and setup while your grain is milled that's always an option. Then again, it's not relevant here.

Have a look at this. It is an easy way to tension the belt.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...e-to-show-them-off.159950/page-2#post-2495246

I believe I have read that 100 to 300 RPM works for most mills.

This may help for sheave diameter calculation. Select motor sheave first (the small one) to make sure it's not too small for the belt.

http://culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Pulley-and-RPM-Calculator.html

Determine shaft size for the motor and mill (they are probably different). Harbor Freight is a good source for sheaves. Otherwise try a local ventilation supplier.

Wrap a string around the two sheaves when you are finished, with the motor propped into a mid position. Take that measurement to a hardware, automotive or other supplier and get them to supply options near that length. Have them recommend one that is easily available for replacement.

By measuring the current pulley on motor I got that I need ~13" mill drive to achieve my desired rpm (200-300).

I already have a (pulley?) on the motor, I just need one for the mill which I believe will need to mount with the 3/8" attachment as I'm using the Barley Crusher Malt Mill.

Next I'm attempting to find if there is a standard belt thickness to buy and how to affix the pulley to my mill.

Attachments

• IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 85
Personally I'm not a fan of belt drive.. I used a reduction gearbox with Lovejoy couplers.. my motor is 1730rpm so I got a 10:1 reduction gearbox that puts my output speed at 173 rpm. Works perfect. Gear box cost a little more than belt drive but I dont have to worry about belt stretch, belt wear, belt tension, or getting things caught up in the pulleys like my hands.

Next I'm attempting to find if there is a standard belt thickness to buy and how to affix the pulley to my mill
Best bet is take the pulley off the motor and take it with the mill to your supplier. No guessing, buy once. You'll still have to go back again when you know your belt length. Alternately, if you can figure out what your shaft to shaft distance is, your supplier may be able to calculate belt length for you. The beauty of the tensioning arrangement I referenced above is that it is very forgiving on belt length.

Personally I'm not a fan of belt drive.. I used a reduction gearbox with Lovejoy couplers.. my motor is 1730rpm so I got a 10:1 reduction gearbox that puts my output speed at 173 rpm. Works perfect. Gear box cost a little more than belt drive but I dont have to worry about belt stretch, belt wear, belt tension, or getting things caught up in the pulleys like my hands.

Can you post photos of your setup? I have no idea what any of that means or what it's supposed to look like.
  1. What supplier do I go through?
  2. My motor is 1725 so I imagine I could use the same reduction gearbox
  3. What parts would I need to complete the setup?

Can you post photos of your setup? I have no idea what any of that means or what it's supposed to look like.
  1. What supplier do I go through?
  2. My motor is 1725 so I imagine I could use the same reduction gearbox
  3. What parts would I need to complete the setup?
Here is a link to the gearbox I used, you can probably find it for less but that is an idea what you're looking for
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...r-Reducer-0-77-HP-Left-Output-13-133-10-L.axd

This link is for the lovejoy style coupling I used.. just need to know what shaft sizes you have and pay attention to weather or not you need it keyed.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...onal/1-2-L-050-Jaw-Coupling-Half-1-3419-E.axd

20160117_195710.jpeg
20160117_195722.jpeg

I know you already have a motor you want to use but for the record there are complete motor gearbox packages available made for grain mills by keg king and all American ale works that are direct bolt up. Little pricy but very convenient and easy.

I know you already have a motor you want to use but for the record there are complete motor gearbox packages available made for grain mills by keg king and all American ale works that are direct bolt up. Little pricy but very convenient and easy.
Hmm, that seems like a simpler, and longer lasting alternative to belt..

Since I already have a motor with the right starting RPM I think buying the gear reducer would just leave me with having to find the right connections...

Hmm, that seems like a simpler, and longer lasting alternative to belt..

Since I already have a motor with the right starting RPM I think buying the gear reducer would just leave me with having to find the right connections...
I have been very happy with my setup for 3 years now milling an average of 60lbs a month. The hardest part is aligning the shafts. You may need spacers under the mill and or gearbox to get everything lined up.

Question regarding the gear reducer..

Without knowing which direction my motor spins, I don't know which direction the output shaft is spinning (clockwise vs counter clock wise).

If I end up with the shaft spinning in the wrong direction, would I simply be able to flip the milling piece upside down so the rollers are spinning the way I want them?

Question regarding the gear reducer..

Without knowing which direction my motor spins, I don't know which direction the output shaft is spinning (clockwise vs counter clock wise).

If I end up with the shaft spinning in the wrong direction, would I simply be able to flip the milling piece upside down so the rollers are spinning the way I want them?
Should be able to depending on your mill. I have a monstermill mm2pro and I have mine flipped over.. I also have a reversible motor with a 3 way switch so I can make it turn either direction in case it gets stuck (never had this happen)

Back