Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Beer Bike Build Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
Trouble-Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer Bike Build Questions

I am in the beginning stages of making a tricycle jockey box for 3 1/2 bbls. I work at a brewery who serves beer at the local farmers market once a week and they are looking for a cool way to transport and serve. I am planing on cutting a cruiser off about 6" behind the seat post then adding a angle iron frame for a plywood box. I am thinking 4' long, 32" wide and 32" tall. That gives me room for 3 staggered 1/2 bbls and a co2 tank. After reading about coils and plates for cooling I am thinking 100' of 5/16" stainless coil for each tap. I am hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction for bulk stainless flexible tube. I have found premade jockey box coils but am looking something I can make to fit. I am also wondering if anyone has any advise on a rear axle, with three full kegs, the box, coils, co2 and a rider its going to need to hold about 800lbs. I am thinking 20" wheels to keep it low for loading kegs. Any advice on where to find something like that? Or other advice on the whole idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

check here

http://www.rideyourbike.com/cargo.html

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe the hopworks bike will give you some inspiration!

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 06-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I like the ground effects!

On Deck: Chav Irish Red
Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You want something that you are actually able to ride right? Have you thought about attaching a utility trailer/cart to the bike? Splitting up some of the weight is going to make this much more usable. If you are looking to build something maybe scavenge the connection from one of those baby hauling carts and build a custom trailer. Good luck and post your results.

-cheers

Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Gunfighter04
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here, copy this.

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you.
NORM: I know. If she calls, I'm not here.

Keg1: Edmund Fitzgerald Clone
Keg2: Innis and Gunn Clone
Bottled: Belgian Strong
Primary: Southern Pecan Ale

Old 06-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
cc407
Recipes 

Seems you are wanting to build, and that sounds like the fun part. I only suggest looking at Dutch cargo bikes for some inspiration. Try a google search and you'll find some neat examples.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
Trouble-Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. The plan is to have something we can ride the mile and a half to the market then pack it up and ride it home. Its pretty darn flat in Davis only hill between the brewery and the market is the slight rise for the railroad tracks so that makes things a little easier. After doing a little research on some of the links above I think a trailer might be the way to go. 800lbs is quite a bit for three wheels especially if I want to keep the costs reasonable. I will run the trailer idea by the boss when I talk to him Thursday. It might come out cheaper then a trike so it might not be hard to sell. We already have an old school tandem at the brewery thats seen better days, might make a pretty cool tow bike with some work. Thanks for the help, I will post when I get the project going.

I am still striking out with the cooling so any leads for stainless flexible tube would still be a big help.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"flexible" and "stainless steel tube" are kind of opposites.... did you mean like braided ss hose? im not exactly sure how you are going to use 100' of stainless coil for cooling, could you explain more? is it going thru a jockey box or...? (if so, 100 feet per tap is probably considerable overkill)

since you need it to be portable, you might want to look into dry ice or liquid nitrogen (obviously not in direct contact with the beer or lines, but they are cold, cheap, portable, expendable, require no pumps, etc.). with a little inventiveness you could get something working...

Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
brianj434
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If your kegs from the brewery are going to be cold, that is alot of thermal mass. Just build a simple insulated box and throw a few bags of ice in. You would probably get negligable warming over a several hour period.

For the bike:

If you go the trailer route you will need to instal brakes on the trailer itself. Most tow behind bike trailers are not made for that kind of load. You definetly do not want to stop at the RR crossing , watch your trailer pass you and then get pulled in. Im not sure if there are trailers with integrated braking systems that can hook up to a tow bike's normal controls.

Make sure your tow bike has good stopping power, disk brakes would be best.

a quick google lead to this...
http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/
Looks like it would provide a workable skeleton to build upon.

This project sounds awesome. I am excited to see what you coome up with

Quick Reply