Bourbon!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, aside from my love affair with beer, I'm a bourbon. Love the stuff, have for years. My old man was a Makers Mark drinker, so naturally I started out on that. Not a bad bourbon, but not great. Surprisingly considering the price, my favorite is Eagle Rare 10 year. $27 at Specs in Houston for 750mL and it kills any bourbon twice it's price. Good stuff. What are y'all drinkin?

Basil Hayden's. Simply Amazing flavor. Rich and complex. 45$ bottle in Denver area.

Pro tip:
Evan Williams, usually situated on the bottom or next to bottom shelf is the exact same bourbon as Elijah Craig. Same mash, different age. For the money, an excellent common bourbon.

However, I have to agree that Eagle Rare is superb. :mug:

Woodford Reserve is what i like to drink as far as bourbon goes.
Sometimes sams-club has it in the high 20`s range.

Pro tip:
Evan Williams, usually situated on the bottom or next to bottom shelf is the exact same bourbon as Elijah Craig. Same mash, different age. For the money, an excellent common bourbon.

However, I have to agree that Eagle Rare is superb. :mug:

Weller 12 year is the exact same bourbon as Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, just not aged quite as long and 25 per bottle instead of 150.

You're welcome! :mug:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=630027

oh i could go on about this topic.. bookers is the best for when you want to spend some money.. but i'd say my favorite is knob creek.. great to have that around for when beer just isn't enough for the day :)

oh, and make sure you all own a set of whiskey stones so you can enjoy it the way it was meant to be, not watered down

I've never had bourbon but have always wanted to try some. What would you guys recommend trying first that won't break the bank in case I hate it? As far as my beer preferences I like a lot of different styles like Imperial/Double/Regular IPA's, Stouts, Brown Ales Red Ales and Pale Ales but I haven't tried too many Belgian beers that I really like.

I recently had an opportunity to taste some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bourbon, seriously some of the best I've ever tasted.

Woodford-Reserve-Double-Oaked.jpg

I've never had bourbon but have always wanted to try some. What would you guys recommend trying first that won't break the bank in case I hate it? As far as my beer preferences I like a lot of different styles like Imperial/Double/Regular IPA's, Stouts, Brown Ales Red Ales and Pale Ales but I haven't tried too many Belgian beers that I really like.

Go to a bar where you can buy a drink's worth and not a whole bottle?

I'm not sure about the availability in your area. I live in KY and Four Roses makes a small batch that is OUT OF THIS WORLD! Won't break the bank either :)

oh i could go on about this topic.. bookers is the best for when you want to spend some money.. but i'd say my favorite is knob creek.. great to have that around for when beer just isn't enough for the day :)

oh, and make sure you all own a set of whiskey stones so you can enjoy it the way it was meant to be, not watered down

Bookers is truly nectar of the gods. But since it is barrel run at about 135 proof I actually like the way a little water from a melting ice cube opens it up.

Buffalo Trace is my go to everyday bottle. Whiskey stones are perfect for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Buffalo trace is a good intro.
$20 per bottle.

Weller 12 year is the exact same bourbon as Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, just not aged quite as long and 25 per bottle instead of 150.

Pappy is 23 yr old bourbon. Old rip van winkle is the 15 yr.

Anyone know a good bourbon review app for android?

I didn't know that, but it explains why I like Weller so much. Pappy is just, well the best damn bourbon I've ever had! I like the 20yo slightly more than the 23yo, though by the slightest of margins.

Here's an interesting link on the interconnectedness of bourbons:
http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

I'm not sure about the availability in your area. I live in KY and Four Roses makes a small batch that is OUT OF THIS WORLD! Won't break the bank either :)

I would have to agree 100% I always thought Woodford was king until I tried this. When I want a cheap bottle though, Very Old Barton is great

Pappy is 23 yr old bourbon. Old rip van winkle is the 15 yr.

You sure about that?

PVW-15yr.png

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year
Expressly produced according to the exclusive Van Winkle family wheated-recipe and specially selected from barrels in the heart of the aging warehouses, this bourbon remained undisturbed for 15 years to age in deep-charred heavy oak untouched by human hands, unhurried by time.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/van-winkle#2

Really.. This one that my local bottle shop just posted on twitter on sale $7 off? https://twitter.com/FallsBeer/status/446712020864233472/photo/1

Are you saying I should pick it up?.. My wife is gonna kill you :cross:

Always love to have a good bourbon on hand. And by that I mean 5 good bourbons on hand.

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 4.02.45 PM.jpg

Really.. This one that my local bottle shop just posted on twitter on sale $7 off? https://twitter.com/FallsBeer/status/446712020864233472/photo/1

Are you saying I should pick it up?.. My wife is gonna kill you :cross:

Always love to have a good bourbon on hand. And by that I mean 5 good bourbons on hand.

i doubt that is the one they are referring to.. (edit.. i misread, i thought it said $7 for the bottle, not save $7.. yeah, that's a good one)

i agree buffalo trace is a great one for a good price.. their rye is also quite good.. i believe most in the $25-$35 range are quite good for bourbons.. i think that is the sweet spot for quality at a good price

I agree the Four Roses small Batch is awesome. I from S.A. so I also recommend Ranger Creek.

Anyone have any feedback on Angel's Envy? It's new to MN and just noticed how highly rated it is. The small sip I had was extremely smooth and a little different from any other bourbon I've had (probably due to the port barrels). However, this was the last in line of a few tastings, so my palette might have been wacked.

I saw it locally for $38.99 which looks like a great price compared to what I'm seeing online.

Blantons, bakers, basil hadins, and woodford reserve for me, thank you. By the way, if you never have tried it, I really recommend Blantons.

Edit: almost forgot Elmer T. Lee. A great sour mash by the same guy who created Blantons. RIP, Elmer!

Anyone have any feedback on Angel's Envy? It's new to MN and just noticed how highly rated it is. The small sip I had was extremely smooth and a little different from any other bourbon I've had (probably due to the port barrels). However, this was the last in line of a few tastings, so my palette might have been wacked.

I saw it locally for $38.99 which looks like a great price compared to what I'm seeing online.

Yes, Envy and Devil's Cut are both very good.

Blantons, bakers, basil hadins, and woodford reserve for me, thank you. By the way, if you never have tried it, I really recommend Blantons.

Edit: almost forgot Elmer T. Lee. A great sour mash by the same guy who created Blantons. RIP, Elmer!

Blanton's is excellent, try the Woodford double-oaked if you haven't already. ;)

I like Ole George Whiskey from Grand Traverse Distillery. Amazing stuff, best I've ever had. They can't make enough of it to bother distributing it, have to buy it at the distillery.

My favorite (widely available) bourbon, has to be Knob Creek - very good stuff. If I'm in a not particularly well stocked establishment, Maker's Mark will work.

Bourbon is a major thing in out house as well as beer. My tastes run broad and we keep a lot around, but Jefferson's Chef Colaboration is my current obsession. Jefferson's is also my favorite all-around, Dickel is probably the best buy.

It is worth reading reviews and shopping around. You have to be *really* careful about the notion that certain bourbons are the "same". Buffalo trace, for example, has three stills and many barrel houses. Each individual product has different specs for barrel toast and rotation in the barrel house. Each house has very different airflow characteristics, etc. There are lots of variables before you talk about blending.

I think it is 4-roses that has 8 different recipes that are used in various rotations and blends to create 3 different products. The complexity is staggering.

Anyways, my point is, there are products that are younger versions of others. But, those additional years can (and frequently are) manipulated in the extreme.

Bourbon is a major thing in out house as well as beer. My tastes run broad and we keep a lot around, but Jefferson's Chef Colaboration is my current obsession. Jefferson's is also my favorite all-around, Dickel is probably the best buy.

It is worth reading reviews and shopping around. You have to be *really* careful about the notion that certain bourbons are the "same". Buffalo trace, for example, has three stills and many barrel houses. Each individual product has different specs for barrel toast and rotation in the barrel house. Each house has very different airflow characteristics, etc. There are lots of variables before you talk about blending.

I think it is 4-roses that has 8 different recipes that are used in various rotations and blends to create 3 different products. The complexity is staggering.

Anyways, my point is, there are products that are younger versions of others. But, those additional years can (and frequently are) manipulated in the extreme.

Never had the Jefferson's you speak of but I can certainly see what you mean about variance in the quality of different batches, I must have tried Dickel every time they produced a batch that tasted like landfill dirt. Maybe I'll have to give it another try and hope for a good batch this time. ;)

Noah's Mill for me. Rich, complex, and barrel strength.

George Dickel, albeit not bourbon, I enjoy as a great daily drinker.

Four Roses small batch is very nice. it's on the sweet side. I like it much better than the single barrel which I find harsh and sharp.

I like the 15 yr old Pappy much more than the 23 yr old. it's nicely balanced sweet, oak, earthy, floral. The 23 has a very distinct flavor. Traditional caramels are almost gone, leaving complex earthy, oak finish.

I have a nice picture of the 23 pappy next to a Corner Creek (don't waste your money on the creek), that my dad and I were sipping on Sunday. galleries seem to be down right now tho.

Noah's Mill for me. Rich, complex, and barrel strength.

George Dickel, albeit not bourbon, I enjoy as a great daily drinker.

Four Roses small batch is very nice. it's on the sweet side. I like it much better than the single barrel which I find harsh and sharp.

I like the 15 yr old Pappy much more than the 23 yr old. it's nicely balanced sweet, oak, earthy, floral. The 23 has a very distinct flavor. Traditional caramels are almost gone, leaving complex earthy, oak finish.

I have a nice picture of the 23 pappy next to a Corner Creek (don't waste your money on the creek), that my dad and I were sipping on Sunday. galleries seem to be down right now tho.

Always preferred the 15 myself, the Weller 12 isn't far from that but it's being discontinued so buy it up if you see it. Never could get down with Dickel though, tastes like a much too-heavily blended whiskey to me and the after taste really cloys after a few sips.. Never really cared much for any Four Roses I've ever had either, it was always considered rot-gut in years past around here though, so maybe that's got something to do with it. For my money, and I think someone's already mentioned it here, Barton's 100 proof is just as good as Four Rose's small batch at a fraction of the price, but I edge to a good bite over smooth so it's really a matter of taste I'm sure.

You can guess which is the Pappys.

We got couple liters of the, Wellers at the duty free, coming back from Toronto. Fifths were $17 local. Not my fav but good drinking.

Wellers 12 and Buffalo Trace have been my go-to mid-priced options as of late. Not the best bourbons by any means, but I would say they are the best value I've tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also, I almost hate to admit it... I like old foresters. A little rough around the edges, but 21 bucks isn't bad.

I am surprised that Bulliet hasn't gotten any love yet. They have a great rye also.

Also love me some Pappy & Winkle.

I am surprised that Bulliet hasn't gotten any love yet. They have a great rye also.

The bulliet rye is pretty amazing, if not just for the fact that it is 95% rye. Anyone who's ever tried to mash and lauter more than 35% rye knows what I'm talking about.

The bulliet rye is pretty amazing, if not just for the fact that it is 95% rye. Anyone who's ever tried to mash and lauter more than 35% rye knows what I'm talking about.

And thus, it is whiskey, not bourbon. I do want to try it though.

IMO, its overrated. It isn't bad, but not worth the extra money.

This is my go to. I love that stuff. Their bourbon is good as well. Right up there with buffalo trace for me. I actually prefer the regular stuff to the bulleit 15yr bourbon.

Latest posts

Back