Yeast transfer between batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosshair

Reaction score
I beseech thee for information:

On Sunday I started two batches of raspberry wine. One 5 gallon and one 1 gallon. I used one packet of the same yeast for each batch and now the 1 gallon is bubbling happily and the 5 gallon has no activity.

Is it possible to make the yeast from one batch grow in the second? ( I don't have time to get another packet of yeast from my LHBS).

Thanks!

I beseech thee for information:

On Sunday I started two batches of raspberry wine. One 5 gallon and one 1 gallon. I used one packet of the same yeast for each batch and now the 1 gallon is bubbling happily and the 5 gallon has no activity.

Is it possible to make the yeast from one batch grow in the second? ( I don't have time to get another packet of yeast from my LHBS).

Thanks!

It's probably possible, but I wouldn't rush to try to fix it. The yeast will multiply and then begin fermentation. It should start up within another day or two. Stir it if you want to, but otherwise just wait.

I agree. Just give it some time.

Were the ingredients exactly the same in each (proportionally)? Were both aerated equally?

It may just take longer for the yeasties to become established in the larger batch.

I tried to stretch the yeast packet by rehydrating the yeast and adding a little sugar. Bubbles became very visible and then I added about half(first) to the small batch and the other half(second) to the large batch.

I'm wondering if the majority of the yeast came off the top of my starter and went into the small batch while a small amount of yeast got into the large batch?

I do the same thing, but I normally pour the whole liquid starter into one 5gal batch. Did you give it a good mix before splitting it between the two?

Unfortunately did not give a good mix before splitting the two. That's why I think my starter went into the small batch.

I usually pitch it dry and when I do rehydrate I don't split between two batches.

I was going to be Narbonne Yeast( Lalvin 71-D). All I have left is Montrachet and Lalvin D47, neither of which seems to be a good substitute unless anyone disagrees?

For consistencies sake I almost always use Montrachet in my wine. Wouldn't hurt to do up some and pitch it in if nothing starts in the next day or so. I mean could be the $0.50 fix.

I find that the drier the wine, the more the yeast's effect will be noticeable. It also depends on how much fruit you put in to begin with. More fruit and you'll notice the notes from the yeast less.

But at this point it's wine with a different yeast or plain-old-fruit juice. :)

you couldve poured some off of each batch and and just swapped them it wouldve worked the same. (ie 1 gal off of bubbling batch into batch that was inactive, an 1 gal of the inactive into the bubbling batch)

you couldve poured some off of each batch and and just swapped them it wouldve worked the same. (ie 1 gal off of bubbling batch into batch that was inactive, an 1 gal of the inactive into the bubbling batch)

lol that would have CLEARLY been easier then starting a $0.50 packet of yeast and pitching it in.

;)

I extracted a couple volumes of a turkey baster from one bucket into the other (off the top) and waited. Repeated on day 3 and waited and that didn't work.

Yeah cant imagine much would happen with a couple shots from a turkey baster, one pull is bout equal to the size of a shot glass. a gallon would be the ticket if you wanted to do it that night and the homebrew shop was closed. but yeah a $.50 packet of yeast works too

Back