New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine from Welch's concentrate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #21
Yooper
Frau Admin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3851 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

I've had some perfectly awful $50 kits, and although there probably are some decent ones. A "decent" wine kit general costs about $80 or up, though.

I happen to like the Welch's just fine. If you don't fine. I spent $4 on my last Welch's batch, and I enjoy it very much. I also like the dandelion, blackberry, rhubarb, chokecherry, etc, etc wine.

Again, if you don't like it, that's cool. I respect your opinion. I don't care at all for hefeweizens or wheat beers, but I don't 'dis them either. Our tastes are our tastes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 AM   #22
idkid
Recipes 

could you make a five gallon batch just by multiplying your recipe by 5....sorry for the ignorant question, but i've never made any wine

Tiocfaidh Ar La

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

Old 04-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Yes, you can. Multiply all the ingredients by 5, except for the yeast. You still only use one package of yeast. You might want to make just one gallon to start, though- to make sure you like it!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #24
bicycle bill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
Sure, but it is in the recipe database under wine. I just copied and pasted.

Any flavor will do- some have done the raspberry blend and liked it. Again, just use 100% juice, with no high fructose corn syrup or other stuff. And you don't have to use all the sugar, just enough to get you to 1.095 or so. It finishes dry, which I like. But you can sorbate and campden and sweeten to taste if you'd like.

This is not fine wine- so if you know that going in, I think you'll be happy. It tastes like a dry mogen david, if you use the concord grape juice. Again, you could sweeten and/or mix if you'd like.
Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

Question???
How can this work? cover with napkin and fasten with rubber band
I thought it was imperative that no air get into the wine during fermenting. WHen you say napkin will a paper towl or kleenex work?

Last edited by bicycle bill; 04-22-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #25
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

During primary fermentation, you WANT oxygen to get to it, but definitely not fruit flies! All of my fruit wines are loosely covered in the primary, usually in a big fermenting bucket covered with a dish towel, during the most active phase. Then, it's racked off the gross lees and put under airlock.

I wouldn't use kleenex (might fall apart, as it WILL get wet) but papertowel or a clean dish cloth is fine. Also, you might want to stick the whole thing in a larger tub or bucket or sink, as this will stain hardwood floors when it bubbles out of the top a little. (Don't even ask me how I know).

Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #26
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

HAHA just saw this, we made some of this, looks like the same recipe in my biology class last year. Then we got to drink it after our final for making it through the class. It was pretty good. Defiantly not a fine wine but it taste good.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #27
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Yoops...

Just one question, do you like dry or sweet wine? I personally can't stand sweet wines, but I know that people in rural areas tend to favor them over dry. I'm not saying one is right or wrong or that one side represents the entire population, this is just what research shows.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #28
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
HAHA just saw this, we made some of this, looks like the same recipe in my biology class last year. Then we got to drink it after our final for making it through the class. It was pretty good. Defiantly not a fine wine but it taste good.
Sheesch, I shoulda went to school in Texas...

Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #29
bicycle bill
Recipes 

Quote:
During primary fermentation, you WANT oxygen to get to it, but definitely not fruit flies! All of my fruit wines are loosely covered in the primary, usually in a big fermenting bucket covered with a dish towel, during the most active phase. Then, it's racked off the gross lees and put under airlock.

I wouldn't use kleenex (might fall apart, as it WILL get wet) but papertowel or a clean dish cloth is fine. Also, you might want to stick the whole thing in a larger tub or bucket or sink, as this will stain hardwood floors when it bubbles out of the top a little. (Don't even ask me how I know).
THank you very much for clearing that up. I am ready to try making a batch. Will post when finished and let you know if i made something like dishwater or drinkable wine.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #30
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Yoops...

Just one question, do you like dry or sweet wine? I personally can't stand sweet wines, but I know that people in rural areas tend to favor them over dry. I'm not saying one is right or wrong or that one side represents the entire population, this is just what research shows.
I like only dry wines, as a rule. I ferment everything to dry, and usually leave it that way. The only exception, at least so far, has been the dandelion wine. It's good dry, but even better slightly off-dry at 1.000. Off-day is about as sweet as I'd ever go, though- that's why I've warned people about the tartness of my recipe. This Welch's recipe finishes tart and dry- and I leave it that way.

As far as commercial wines, I like big bold reds the best and rarely drink whites. Of course, these are always dry.

Quick Reply