Wine noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psnydez86

Reaction score
So I've been homebrewing for a couple years and am thinking about getting some wine going as i do like a glass here and there especially with meals. I have all the equipment I need other than wine bottles and corks. Can I bottle wine in beer bottles and cap them rather than cork?

So I've been homebrewing for a couple years and am thinking about getting some wine going as i do like a glass here and there especially with meals. I have all the equipment I need other than wine bottles and corks. Can I bottle wine in beer bottles and cap them rather than cork?

Yes, you can do that.

The only thing I needed, besides a corker, to make wine kits was my brewing gear plus a 6 gallon carboy. I didn't have a 6 gallon carboy when I got my first wine kit, so I had to buy one. But everything else, like siphon tubing and airlocks, is the same and you shouldn't need anything if you'll be bottling in beer bottles.

Cool. I'm thinking about trying your welches grape juice recipe as it seems fairly cheap and easy to start. Any other cheap and easy recipes?

Cool. I'm thinking about trying your welches grape juice recipe as it seems fairly cheap and easy to start. Any other cheap and easy recipes?

Hmm, I think the apple juice recipe is really good for a beginner and it makes a nice white wine.

Fruit wines don't taste like traditional commercial wines, though. They are good, but they don't have anything in common with a bottle of wine that you'd buy at the store so if you want something like that with dinner you may want to consider making a wine kit. The thing is, most kits make 6 gallons of wine and that's a lot for non-winos!

I have made a hard sparkling cider from apple juice based off a brewing tv recipe and it came out pretty good but I wish I would have back sweetened because its too dry for my tastes and the ~3vols of carbonation doesn't help. I may give your grape juice recipe a go, then make a wine kit so I can compare. Thanks !

Back