Wine making/LHBS South of Albany, NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
My M/FIL helped me brew some beer the other day on their way south to sunny Florida for the winter. My FIL expressed interest in winemaking again. He used to help his father make wine. (Back when rocks were soft I'd guess.) Anyway, since he and the missus don't own a computer, I'm looking for some help in finding a LHBS/LWMS(?) south/near of/to Albany. They live in Windham, about 55 mi. SW of there. They're in their late 60's and would probably prefer not to drive too far. If they like it, I'm sure I'll wind up ordering for them online and have it delivered to them. But, it's nice to have some hands on, or see the equipment up close. Thanks, Pete

Here's a few I found. On google.

Party Creations - (845) 758-0661
345 Rokeby Road, Red Hook, NY

Harvest Spirits, LLC (518) 261-1625
Golden Harvest Farms,
3074 US Route 9, Valatie, NY

Also lists....
Cave Mountain Brewing Co
5359 New York 23, Windham, NY
(518) 734-9222
He can probably get a walkthru there if he asks nicely. Although probably can't get supplies there. Worth checking out for a pint at the least.

Hennesy Homebrew has a Branch store in Great Barrington... you can look up if you desire. I'm in Saratoga, so I either hit Saratoga Zymurgist, Hennesy Homebrew in Renselear (near jobsite), or Hammersmith Homebrew in Latham (near office). You can Google any of those and get directions. I can vouch for Saratoga + Hennesy as good shops. Hammersmith gets no comment becuase I haven't had a chance to go more than once.

My mistake...doesn't show as opened yet... they have been advertising it. It's in the works.... Maybe call the other shop in Rensselaer for specifics. There is another branch in West Boylston... but I don't know Ma. well enough to describe. And after looking at the flyer... I'm not sure about the ownership... they are collectively "The Homebrew Emporium" and listed under different names.... Hennessey HE, West Boylston HE, Modern HE (in Cambridge, MA)

Hmm.... Now I can't find the flyer... becuase I wanted to give more specifics... The other 3 are listed online easy enough to contact.

Oh, Hennessey's one of my local shops. Little surprised they'd move into Great Barrington, especially with a pretty good little shop now being opened in Pittsfield, MA (half hour north of GB).

Maybe that was the "new" shop... and I mis-heard the location. I've only been into this for a couple months, so I was scouting LHBS so I could get supplies in different areas of the Eastern NY where I work. I happened on this thread and wanted to drop some of the info I found. I actually feel special having 3 decent shops within 30 miles of my home!

To all, thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. When the "out-laws" get back from Fl. I'll direct them to Harvest spirits. According to Google maps, it's only about 1 hour away from them. So, I figure it'll take them about 1 1/2 hours. Maybe they can shoot up there when they're down in Catskill shopping, or while they're here on LI, I'll bring them to one of the LHBSs. I guess I'll also borrow a wine making DVD from one of my co-workers. I can mail them that and they decide from there. I wonder if they make that in VHS?

FlemingsFinest, Only three more months (give or take) 'til they leave the comfort of Florida and head back to Windham. They'll stop by here on the way back and I'll try to get my outlaws the wine making bug. I'll point 'em in the direction of Hennessey's. Thanks, pete

I was back at Hennessey this past weekend, I've only been there a couple times since they expanded. Really impressed. They've got virtually every grain malt you can imagine, a couple that I had never heard of. Tons of different hop varieties, and they're keeping them vacuum-sealed now. Just really a first-class operation. Lots more gear than they used to have.

Back