water bottle for fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

Reaction score
I am just researching making some wine - and want to start as simply as possible. I have a few empty water bottles from my water dispenser (the 5 gallon ribbed bottles). I was wondering if a person could use that (sanitized well of course) instead of a glass one for fermenting? I know I would still need to locate an airlock to suit it (now where would I find one of those, hopefully local so I don't have to order one?)

if you use the search function at the top of the page ( I usually do advance search: titles only) you will find lots and lots of info on this.. just type in water bottle and it will answer all your questions..

what do you use for air locks? The regular plugs on the airlocks that I have for carboys are too small for the neck of the water bottles......

I have 22 of these going.
Basically have found the 'blank' centre that presses into the bottle cap can be drilled for rubber airlock grommet, then airlock fitted.
Have also scratched around and found other plastic caps that fit into or over the bottle cap protrusion can be used the same way when 'blank' centre is missing.
Lately have been changing all of mine over to rubber bungs - a bung tapering from 50mm to 41mm presses in really well. Undrilled bungs can be frozen then drilled out.

You can find everything that you need at your Local Home Brew Store (LHBS), or online at many of this site's sponsors.

Pogo

my local wine shop didn't have any larger one's...... I'll have a look at the HW store while I'm getting a tube for racking and see if they have a bung the right size.

Hardware stores and wine shops all serve good purposes.

But I've yet to see certain key home brew necessities such as drilled bung stoppers, airlocks, hydrometers, cappers, corkers, etc., there.

If you don't have access to a Home Brew Store in your area, then get prepared to pay shipping and handling, or drive a long way.

Pogo

I've gotten a carboy, stopper and airlock, various wine additives including yeast, a wine thief, and loads of encouragement from my local wine store. They don't have anything that is beer related from what I've seen though - I would like to try some malt extract for some ''hard lemonade'' type drinks - I'll probably have to travel further or order online for that though...... the wine store is only open 3:30-7PM anyhow - so it's kinda hard to get there since I need to be at home cooking dinner at that time of day!

Back