Testing Very Old Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigglesaircraft

Reaction score
Hi,
I have many (40+) bottles of Rice & Raisin Wine and a White table Wine from concentrate which were made over 20yrs ago and forgotten about, since bottling they have been stored in good cellar conditions with constant undisturbed low temperatures. None have been opened since the time of bottling and at the time of bottling were made with about 12 -14% alcohol by vol. On inspection they are very clear indeed with little or no lees. Does anyone know of any way that I can test them to ensure that they are safe for drinking other than actually consuming them. If there is no way I shall have to pour them down the drain which would be a great shame.

There is only one way to find out, open one up and give it a good smell and a taste! Down the hatch! :tank:

Welcome.
Send one to me, I'll taste it for you.

Seriously.

And we've said it 10 million times, NO PATHOGENS CAN SURVIVE IN FERMENTED BEVERAGES!

It might taste bad, but it's safe!

On first inspection, you will know if it's bad if it smells bad. I don't think you have to worry about killing yourself or getting sick. Nothing bad can live in 12%-14% alcohol.

Welcome.
Send one to me, I'll taste it for you.

Seriously.

And we've said it 10 million times, NO PATHOGENS CAN SURVIVE IN FERMENTED BEVERAGES!

It might taste bad, but it's safe!

Not to mention, that people have drank wines that were over 100-200 years old without any problems. I don't think sanitation was such a big issue back then. :D

The worst that can happen is you yarf it up from swigging right out of the bottle because you found it's turned to cardboard with a dash of vinegar. But no, it won't kill you, or make you sick, it'll just leave a bad taste in your mouth. Just like BK said,

NO KNOWN PATHOGENS CAN SURVIVE IN FERMENTED PRODUCTS

Thank you.

Back