Splenda for back sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
I started brewing a 6gal. Batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein, and its been aging for about 6 months. I like my wine to be sweet, and have decided to use Splenda for back sweetening. My question is how much Splenda?

;) as much as it takes to get it as sweet as you like.

I used generic Splenda (sucralose) to sweeten some peach wine. I measured out a cup (8 ounces) of wine, added a packet and tasted, kept adding packets until I had it as sweet as I wanted. Then, I scaled up the sucralose to keep the same sucralose (weight) to volume ratio as my packets were to 8 ounces.

Dissolve the splenda in a bit of warmed apfelwein and add it at bottling. Add until it tastes right. Note that it won't take a whole lot, so add a little at a time. Just a little sweetness makes the apple flavor pop out again.

Well I tried to make a few samples with different amounts of splenda in them. My wife and I both can taste splenda even with a small amount in it. I decided to go ahead and bottle without sweetening. Next time I may try a wine conditioner. Thanks for yalls responses though.

I would not let splenda anywhere near anything I make! Are you carbonating?

If not, you can add sugar until the yeast quit and then add a little more!

Well I tried to make a few samples with different amounts of splenda in them. My wife and I both can taste splenda even with a small amount in it. I decided to go ahead and bottle without sweetening. Next time I may try a wine conditioner. Thanks for yalls responses though.

In Germany it is traditional and typical to sweeten apfelwein in the glass with soda or simple syrup. It is far less fussy and gives you lots of control on the sweetness.

I would not let splenda anywhere near anything I make! Are you carbonating?

If not, you can add sugar until the yeast quit and then add a little more!

I was too impatient for that. Lol. Maybe next time. I just bottled dry. I tried it with Sprite and it was excellent. So I made labels with a serving suggestion of adding Sprite or 7up. Thanks for all of the advice. I will remember for next time. I have 6 gal of banana wine that will need to be bottled soon.

I was too impatient for that. Lol. Maybe next time. I just bottled dry. I tried it with Sprite and it was excellent. So I made labels with a serving suggestion of adding Sprite or 7up. Thanks for all of the advice. I will remember for next time. I have 6 gal of banana wine that will need to be bottled soon.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back