Sediment in bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristolcity

Reaction score
Hi all I have recently bottled my first batch of red wine and have noticed that I've accident it got a bit of sediment at the bottom of three or four bottles should I pour them away or will it eventually settle and go away. Is it possible to to empty the bottles into a sanitized bucket and try re bottling the three bottles again. Any advice would be very helpful
Thank you

Sounds like you are bottling too soon. Cannot speak about kits (I would follow the manufacturer's instructions) but when I make wine I won't think about bottling if sediment is still dropping. That said, decanting wine is the traditional method of removing the wine from the sediment (as very aged red grape wines are likely to drop sediment after some years).

Thank you at least it's still drinkable the kit told me to bottle the wine three days earlier than I did I think from now on il follow the kit instructions apart from bottling as early as they reccomend and advice for roughly how long wind should be kept in secondary before bottling I know some people will leave in secondary for months

Wow my kit said bottle straight after racking into secondary how inaccurate was that thanks mate next time I home brew il leave alot longer than three days in secondary

Wow my kit said bottle straight after racking into secondary how inaccurate was that thanks mate next time I home brew il leave alot longer than three days in secondary

My guess is that it is not really "inaccurate" as much as the kit manufacturers being very dependent on you having an empty carboy, and so an urge to see what you might next buy to fill that baby up. If the kit people suggested that you bulk age 6 months or a year - A) few folk would be willing to buy their kits - delayed gratification being something for which the public wins few gold medals and B) there wouldn't be anything that would be helping to drive their sales: an empty carboy - I think - calls out to be filled. A full carboy, on the other hand, sits quietly.

Panic over I took your advice I watched a YouTube video and poured the bottles of wine with sediment in a canter stopped pouring just before the sediment reached the neck I started with. 26 bottles ended up with 21 but I'm happier now I have 21 good bottles of wine no sediment

If is that new don't be surprised if you get more sediment in the 21 bottles. May have been better to pour all 26 back to the carboy and wait a couple months and rack. Then repeat until no sediment falls for 60 days or so. I seldom bottle anything till it a year or two old.

Rather than start a new thread, I figure I’d ask my similar question here to get some opinions.

I have a gallon of muscadine wine that was in primary for a month and secondary on oak for a month. My secondary was a brown gallon grower, so I couldn’t tell how much lees were in there. I racked into bottles with the cane starting up top and moving down slowly until I saw it get cloudy. Now there is a good 1” of sediment in each of the four bottles. This is 1” including the big concave of the wine bottles.

Opinion - would you: 1. leave it and just decant carefully before drinking, 2. Pour into new bottles carefully, leaving the sediment behind, or 3. Pour all four bottles back into the growler and let it sit again.

I wish I had a clear gallon growler but I stupidly threw them away before I got into making wine and mead.

Trying to resuscitate the dead is not always a great idea and many people read new posts... but here's my take for what it's worth.
Never made a wine from muscadine grapes but two months to produce a wine from fruit sounds a little speedy. Many people I know suggest that a good rule of thumb is to age a wine one month for every % ABV. That implies a wine made at 12% should be aged for 12 months..* But I know nothing about muscadines. But the problem is that you have the wine in bottles - returning this wine to the carboy (or growler) will likely introduce oxygen and oxygen is not your friend at this point in wine making so the choice is oxygenating four or five bottles of wine or decanting the wine as you open each bottle... Your call, but given the fact that this wine is safely tucked up in bottles and given the fact that we are talking about 1 gallon I would suggest let sleeping dogs lie.. But all bets are off if you have thoughts about sending a bottle off to a competition: they won't decant and you will lose points for lack of clarity...
* In this case I would not age the wine more than another month or two: don't know the yeast you pitched but some yeast produce lots of off flavors if the yeast cells autolyse and yeast cells will autolyse when they form a significant amount of sediment (lees) at the bottom of a fermenter - so wine makers typically rack off the lees every two or three months. In your case you have bottled the wine so young that significant amounts of lees are likely to drop out of solution...

Thanks for your replies. I used the same “fast” fermentation method (TONSA) with staggered nutrients that I use with mead. Those meads are typically ready to drink in two months with no drastic improvement in flavor with aging longer than that. I did this procedure with the assumption that it would have the same “ready soon” effect with wine.

The wine had an OG of 1.090 and FG of 1.000. It tasted fantastic at bottling and I would not be upset to drink it in the next few months if you felt that the yeast (Lalvin D47) would produce off flavors from sitting on the lees for longer than that.

Given that it’s only a gallon, I had no intentions of sharing or sending to competition.

This is good news given that I had not planned on drinking these but once per year on New Year’s Eve!

If you
Rather than start a new thread, I figure I’d ask my similar question here to get some opinions.

I have a gallon of muscadine wine that was in primary for a month and secondary on oak for a month. My secondary was a brown gallon grower, so I couldn’t tell how much lees were in there. I racked into bottles with the cane starting up top and moving down slowly until I saw it get cloudy. Now there is a good 1” of sediment in each of the four bottles. This is 1” including the big concave of the wine bottles.

Opinion - would you: 1. leave it and just decant carefully before drinking, 2. Pour into new bottles carefully, leaving the sediment behind, or 3. Pour all four bottles back into the growler and let it sit again.

I wish I had a clear gallon growler but I stupidly threw them away before I got into making wine and mead.
If you have already bottled, I would suggest that you leave it in the bottles and just decant it later. You do not want to pour the bottles into a bucket and then bottle it again because that will introduce oxygen into the wine.

Back