Pitch more yeast in Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoffeeSnob

Reaction score
I've got two 1 gallon jugs of Apfelwein going. I added way too much sugar at the beginning (oops). I'm now two months in and it's no longer bubbling and both are sitting right around 1.020. I'm quite new to this. In addition to too much sugar I don't think I put in enough yeast.

Based on what is going on here should I pitch more yeast and hope it takes off. It's REALLY sweet right now.

Jug 1:

1 gallon Costco juice
1.25 lbs sugar
Vintner's Harvest CY17 yeast
Starting gravity: 1.084 @ 75 degrees
Start Date: 3/21/11

Jug 2:

1 gallon Costco juice
1.25 lbs sugar
Vintner's Harvest CL23 yeast
Starting gravity: 1.090 @ 74 degrees
Start Date: 3/21/11

Thanks!

Neil

did you add and stagger additions of yeast nutrient and energizer?

you might try throwing some nutrient and energizer in there to see if you cant wake your yeast back up before you re-pitch.

did you add and stagger additions of yeast nutrient and energizer?

you might try throwing some nutrient and energizer in there to see if you cant wake your yeast back up before you re-pitch.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just pitched in some yeast and called it good. No nutrient or anything... I've got a lot to learn!

Tonight I decided to take another reading and I was surprised. Even without any active bubbling and no fine bubbles noticeable the gravity has dropped to ~1.015 and ~1.010. Of course I had to sample each one and I was surprised at how good it was even at two months!

I think I may just let this ride and see how it goes in a few more months. Just by the little sips I could tell it's pretty potent stuff.

Thats a lot of sugar for one gallon batches.

The most that I've put in a five gallon batch and had success, was 4lbs. Even then, it took forever.

Apfelwein doesnt need nutrients or staggered additions of anything, just let it do its thing if the yeast you used has a high alcohol threshhold :)

Latest posts

Back