new to the hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello all , iam simply new to this hobby i bought my firsst kit 1 month ago it was a rasseberry fruit wine kit no suger required .it was fairly simply to put together and end result was amazing..now my question is , iam planing to buy the same kit agian in a plum flavor but would like to increase the alcohol level to 15-16 %..without needing suger in the kit how could i increase the alcohol % ,i understand suger is required but i need tips when to add and how...

thankyou alane for your rapid response gezzz i got a hydro meter i think its called a oschele scale thingy..lol iam prob best to by a hydrometer with those readings that graph shows...do i add the suger b4 fermentation begins ?

For a wine of that gravity your yeast may or may not ferment to dryness, which might leave it sweeter than you want. You might want to use a yeast strain with a known alcohol tolerance like pasteur red.

Keep in mind that by arbitrarily increasing the ABV of the kit you have the potential to throw it off balance. Most fruit wines are best in the lower range of ABV, and I would guarantee this kit is designed for that. The success that you had with your first kit is less likely on this plum kit if you make these kinds of adjustments.

Sorry to poo poo the idea. Just proceed with this knowledge.

Back