*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Methanol in wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
shahab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Methanol in wine

I am very sorry if this question is extremely common but i could not find my answer any where yet.
I want to make wine at home and i do not have any access to wine yeast because it is illegal in my country.
So i want to know when is poisonous level of methanol produced in wine? does it have any dependence to yeast type or any other factor? or homemade wine is safe any way?
"I do not want to distillate wine"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahab
I am very sorry if this question is extremely common but i could not find my answer any where yet.
I want to make wine at home and i do not have any access to wine yeast because it is illegal in my country.
So i want to know when is poisonous level of methanol produced in wine? does it have any dependence to yeast type or any other factor? or homemade wine is safe any way?
"I do not want to distillate wine"
Methanol isn't a problem unless you're distilling. It's not produced in enough concentration to be a problem unless you distill.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Home brewers have used bread yeast for centuries too. It won't taste quite the same, most likely, but you're not totally out of luck. Winemaking is like falling off a horse...not real hard to do. You'll be fine, as long as you sterilize everything you use. There are threads on here on how to do that. You'll not have access to some of those, I expect, since brewing is illegal where you are, but if all else fails, a large pot full of water can sterilize most anything.

You're a grownup, I assume, but if you live where I think you live, you might want to think long and hard about how well you can keep this secret. Is it worth the possible cost to you? I'm all about standing up for freedom but this is not likely to end well if you don't keep it completely secret. Best to you.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

People Like This 
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
shahab
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
brewfreeordie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Just go with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahab View Post
For thousands of years nobody even knew what yeast was, what or how it did it. Besides, the whole point is your going to drink the evidence.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
BrewandWineSupply
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are making wine from fresh grapes, there will be natural yeast on them. Just crush them and let them go. Do not wash them. If you are making wine from juice you can add some crushed fresh grapes to the mix for the yeast.

Beer, wine, distilling and cheese supplies and equipment, Coffee, teas, and sausage and jerky stuff. Kegging equipment too.
Stocking Lublin, Lomic, Junga, Marynka and other Polish hops.
http://Brewandwinesupply.com

Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Wouldn't any wild fruit have 'wild' yeasts on them? Shahab, keeping it a secret would be hard, because of the smell. I have a friend who is a prison guard, and the inmates make the prison brew with juice and bread. Even when they try and bury it, you sometimes can smell it! Be careful friend, and good luck.

Quick Reply