Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How Many Bottle per year

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
jrupjr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How Many Bottle per year

First post! WooHooo

Also new to wine making. WoooHooo.

Anyway, just curious as to how many bottles you are brewing up per year. I can see this getting addictive (and expensive) but fun.

John from NJ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrupjr
First post! WooHooo

Also new to wine making. WoooHooo.

Anyway, just curious as to how many bottles you are brewing up per year. I can see this getting addictive (and expensive) but fun.

John from NJ
I have enough wine going right now to yield 300 bottles for 2013.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A better answer since bottles come in different volumes may be 'how many gallons per year'?

In 2010: 18 gal
In 2011: 171 gal (150 gal need bottling)
In 2012: 52 gal

All wine or mead.

Motto: quel che sara sara

MzAnnie Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I have no idea how many per year. I only have about 300 bottles left in my cellar, though, and only 21 gallons to bottle right now. So I'm running low.

We didn't have much fruit this year (no apples at all, no chokecherries, few grapes), so I don't have much to work with from our garden and yard. Hopefully next year will be better. I try hard to do at least 18 gallons of crabapple every year, as well as about 25 gallons or more of chokecherry, in addition to grape wines.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
cwebb
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I started 4 years ago doing 10 gal my first year to 100 gal this year.
It is not as expensive as one may think. I try to buy supplies once a month so the cost is not so much at a time. Once you have the base equipment you can start adding on a little at a time. Making wine addictive, you will find yourself wanting to get bigger and bigger. Welcome to the party!!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
jrupjr
Recipes 

Awesome. I am jealous. I have my first batch brewing. Not totally sure what I am doing but that is part of the fun. I have 2 more kits on the way (should be here Jan 2nd) and am ordering 2 more kits tomorrow. The hard part starting out is waiting for your first batch to be ready. Kind of anti-climatic making it.

I am trying to chose a few different wines that have different ready dates, some sooner, some longer so as to spread out the fun.

I am also making a barrel with a few friends of mine at a local wine making place. Hoping to pick up some tips and add to my wine cellar.

Go big or go home, right?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrupjr
Awesome. I am jealous. I have my first batch brewing. Not totally sure what I am doing but that is part of the fun. I have 2 more kits on the way (should be here Jan 2nd) and am ordering 2 more kits tomorrow. The hard part starting out is waiting for your first batch to be ready. Kind of anti-climatic making it.

I am trying to chose a few different wines that have different ready dates, some sooner, some longer so as to spread out the fun.

I am also making a barrel with a few friends of mine at a local wine making place. Hoping to pick up some tips and add to my wine cellar.

Go big or go home, right?
I started the same way, one wine kit at a time.

I then graduated to fresh juice. (Collect buckets for primary fermentation this way.)

This past fall, several batches made from grapes, time will tell how those turn out! Be patient!

Craigslist was a good source of glass carboys and my floor corker.

Seems you have caught the wine making bug like the rest of us, welcome to the club.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Photony
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My first year was 2011, with 23 gallons. This year I'm at 74. I experimented with lots of country wines this year to determine what I like, so I'm guessing about 50 gallons in 2013 since there some I will skip next time around.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
TedLarsen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I am pretty new, too; and pretty addicted as well.

Not counting the equipment (which, face it, is half the fun), it's actually not that expensive of a hobby. I've been brewing both beer and wine, and I've been pondering why I like it so much, and several answers come to mind.

1) It can save a fair amount of money. I'm making some pretty darned complex and tasty wines from juice (just bottled a cab from Chile; and I've got a California Pinot going that is already delicious (and gassy!) -- 's gonna be a fine wine. Those will cost me about 4 or 5 dollars a bottle.

2) It's just plain fun; the entire process.

3) You can make wines and brews otherwise not available to purchase, which is a grand thing.

4) And it's fun. Did I mention?

Anyway, welcome to the hobby. If you actually drink what you make (I give away a lot of it), you will actually save money. Not a bad deal.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm embarrased to say... I'm not sure. I THINK I brewed about 75 gallons of beer and 60 gallons of wine/cider this year.

It's a great hobby, and one that saves you money, while allowing you to be creative. Welcome!

Quick Reply