Green glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tCan

Reaction score
Is there a reason commercial wine usually ships in green glass? Beer comes in brown glass because brown glass offers the best protection. Green offers some protection but not much. All other colors might as well be clear glass from what I read.

Yes, that's true. Reds tend to come in green glass, which has a slight protective effect, while whites (except for chardonnay) tend to come in clear glass. I've bought a few commercial wines that came in brown glass, and I've kept those and reuse them the most.

My wine cellar is dark and cool, so I use any color of glass for my wines. But if you're storing in a place that has a lot of light, the darker the glass the better!

Why am I not surprised that Yoop has a wine cellar?? :).
Yes, that's true. Reds tend to come in green glass, which has a slight protective effect, while whites (except for chardonnay) tend to come in clear glass. I've bought a few commercial wines that came in brown glass, and I've kept those and reuse them the most.

My wine cellar is dark and cool, so I use any color of glass for my wines. But if you're storing in a place that has a lot of light, the darker the glass the better!

Back