Getting a little concerned about my Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
It would appear that my classic signs of fermentation with Apfelwein have failed to appear and I am coming up on day 4/5 of creation.

SOPs were followed, 5 gallons of AJ, 2 Lbs of corn sugar and a packet of yeast. The only issue was my ferm cab temp held steady at no more than 60 degrees (when it was warmer and the sun was shining) After about day 3 I decided to bring it in where its warmer and throw temp control out the window. Well, still no signs of activity (at least any that seem familliar) The carboy is still clear as a bell with a nice white layer of sediment on the bottom. How stuck does a ferm have to be to say 'damn, I should repitch'. I really dont want to, but Im growing mildly concerned. :)

GAH REVVY!! You of course had to ask the age old question of which I am guilty of... *Sigh* No... My lazy ass failed to take grav readings. I think I will do this tonight when I get home, and follow the n00b advise that I (dont) advise others on...

I dont believe there were any other preservatives in this batch of AJ.

Ill do the right thing and check my grav readings like I should have. Its my own fault, and its FINALLY taken me over a year of brewing for it to come back and bite me in the ass.

Back