Fruit Puree question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBerry

Reaction score
This is the first time I've ever made wine, so I am very, very new at this, so it might sound like a silly question. If so, I apologize, but it's confusing me.

I'm going to be brewing a fruit wine for my first wine (I have a one gallon setup, not a large kit or anything), and I was confused about the puree cans you can get at brewing stores.

I found this chart online for one gallon fruit wine setups, but how do I translate that into the 49/96 ounce cans? I don't have access to fresh fruit at the moment (Wyoming, just not a fruit pickers dream), so I only really have the cans to work from as a base.

Also, I've read some places that you don't just add the can sugar in granular form, you add it as a syrup after you've boiled it with water. Is that true? I can do that very easily, I just want to check and make sure.

A #6 can (48 ounces) will make 1 gallon very nicely. The 96 ounce cans are also known as #10 cans and can make 3 gallons or more. Since all your recipes on the link are for one gallon, use the 48 ounce.

You are correct about boiling up the sugar in water to make the syrup.

Welcome to HBT and have fun with your wine!

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I was really worried about weights of cans, weights of fruit in cans, etc, etc. Nothing is as horrifying as wondering if you're about to make some very odd alcoholic syrup. Although that would make for some interesting ice cream for a while.

Thanks a ton, especially for the syrup confirmation. Really didn't want to mess that up.

Back