Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > first time winer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
GHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first time winer

Hey folks, first timer here. Planning a 15 gallon batch of plum wine with Lalvin 5 gram RC-212 bourgovin. How many packs should I use, what attenuation can I expect? What do I need to do with the water? The bicarbonate level of my tap water is very high and not suitable for brewing beer. Thanks for your help!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

I buy bottled spring water from the store.

As far as yeast, you can make a starter with one package of yeast or buy 3 packets.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I make starters and use 1 pack of yeast. For a 15 gallon batch the recipe for my starter would be:

6 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups honey
3/4 tsp yeast nutrients
30 fine chopped raisins

Mix all together well. Sprinkle yeast on top and do not stir into the starter. Cover with paper towel and rubber band. Wait 8 hours and pitch yeast.

Now I have no real beer brewing experience but have started & specialize in meads and love making wine. I think attenuation is more of a beer brewing terminology. With wines you get a full fermentation with gravities getting as low as 0.990 which makes it very dry with no leftover sweetness. Your yeast choice can go up to around 16% ABV so the wine should go dry unless you add a bunch of sugar.

I use a brita filter on my water and have made some darn fine brews with tap. Should be fine with any wine recipe.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I would also do some looking around for RC-212 nutrition requirements. I had a very bad issue with a Barbera, but my temperature got very high, so maybe that made the issue much worse. Something I read, maybe on here from someone said you should give it nutrients several times in the first few days.

I'm lazy and impatient (bad combo), I buy multiple packets and rehydrate in diluted must and pitch after 30 minutes or so.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Charles Bukowski

Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Watch your plums too---depending on source of plums you may run into acidity issues. So if you have the tools to check TA and pH please do so. Would definitely recommend spring water since your home water is not suitable for fermentation.

Have fun.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply