Fining question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzy1038

Reaction score
I had a riesling wine kit from Vino Del Vida in primary for 13 days. Yesterday I checked the gravity and I was at .997 so decided to rack to secondary. The kit came with K-meta and K-sorb, as well as some kieselsol and chitosan.

For whatever reason the stabilizers and fining that came with the kit were nowhere to be found!!!!!! I think someone may have been cleaning and it got thrown away.

Fortunately from making some strawberry wine I had some k-meta and k-sorb on hand as well as some isinglass.

So what I did was add the required amount of k-meta(1/8tsp/gal) and k-sorb (1/4tsp/gal) and degassed. I then added 1oz of isinglass and degassed. I have read that isinglass works best used in conjunction with bentonite. The kit included bentonite which was put in at the beginning of primary.

This was and is a 6 gallon batch. Does everything I did sound right? I assume this will clear given time.

You may of added stabilizer to early. Adding K-Meta is done at end of fermentation . After you have had the same SG reading 3 days in a row. It may ferment a little more and you may need to de-gas again but it will be ok in end, may take longer to clear.

Well considering that this was my first wine i followed the directions. The directions said nothing about checking SG over a period of days, just when it was at or below a specific SG. It also said to add the other items at that time.

That being said, it is clearing nicely. Thanks

Back