Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fermentation smells like sulphur.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Yowamushi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation smells like sulphur.

So I just started my first batch of real wine, a 4 gallon batch of mulberry wine saturday night, pitched the yeast sunday. Today I go to punch down the cap and stir it up and peeeeyew rotton egg smell in my fermenting closet. So I've read that if you have this problem toward the end of fermentation you should aerate the wine. But what do I do for sulphur smell this early? Additives included 5 campden tablets which I added 12 hours before pitching the yeast. And also I added 3 tsp of yeast nutrient. Should I add more or what? I aerated it tonight but I'm afraid the sulphur smell will come back. Any help for a first timer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Well, I'm not a wine maker, mostly beer with a little mead and cider thrown in for good measure, but, I would say. Ignore the sulphur smell. That's just the yeast doing its thing. It will go away on its own with time.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply