Double the peaches in peach wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Most peach wine recipes are calling out 2-3 lbs per gallon of water. Id like to minimize the amount of water and sugar i need to add. Does anyone see a problem with doubling the amount of peaches? Will I be fine as long as I have enough water to cover peaches?

The peach wines I make do not use sugar at all and I get a good ABV. The secret is Welch's white grape peach frozen concentrate. Use the normal peach amount if you want that fresh peach taste and just substitute the sugar for concentrate. You will have much less sediment and more product in the end.

How much peaches per gallon do you use? Do you see a problem with 6lbs per gal?

Also, how many frozen juice concentrates roughly per gallon? This is a great idea.

That was for no fruit added. Use less concentrate if you add fruit. Or just do the extra peaches, but make half again as much as you want to end up with. Lots of sludge in the first rack!

If using fresh peaches I would only do about 2lb per gallon and 4 cans of concentrate. If you top up a bit over 1 gallon and save some of the must for topping up you should be in the 1.100 range.

Most peach wine recipes are calling out 2-3 lbs per gallon of water. Id like to minimize the amount of water and sugar i need to add. Does anyone see a problem with doubling the amount of peaches? Will I be fine as long as I have enough water to cover peaches?

Five or six lbs. per gallon will make a richer peach wine, and yes about covering the peaches with water. Use fresh, ripe fruit. You'll probably need to add some sugar and/or white wine concentrate to build it to 12%.

I disagree about using canned welches white grape juice. It's icky. Even, nasty. Go ahead, buy one and taste it. Wine made with table grapes or table grape concentrate isn't great. Same with using it as a fruit wine additive. Much better is to use a white wine grape concentrate like Alexander's if you want a white wine character to the peach wine. Any variety of white wine grape concentrate will be ok. Taste it and you'll know what will taste good in the peach wine.

Number one caution with using more peaches is to stir the must frequently--several times a day--to avoid hydrogen sulfide. Keep it aerated while it's fermenting and before racking. Also, use a bentonite slurry with the must. Still, there will be more loss in the first racking of a peach wine.

I'm making a peach wine right now, and I juiced enough peaches to have 1/2 gallon of juice from the peaches only. Then I added in a couple cans of white grape juice concentrate (old orchard brand), 2 cups of white sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar, and enough water to finish it up to a gallon. Used red star bread yeast and put in a cut up banana, peel and all. Topped up with a sugar water in the secondary. The only thing I wished I would have done is put sliced peaches in the secondary. What I did was pretty simple, pretty cheap, and well worth it.

Five or six lbs. per gallon will make a richer peach wine, and yes about covering the peaches with water. Use fresh, ripe fruit. You'll probably need to add some sugar and/or white wine concentrate to build it to 12%.

I disagree about using canned welches white grape juice. It's icky. Even, nasty. Go ahead, buy one and taste it. Wine made with table grapes or table grape concentrate isn't great. Same with using it as a fruit wine additive. Much better is to use a white wine grape concentrate like Alexander's if you want a white wine character to the peach wine. Any variety of white wine grape concentrate will be ok. Taste it and you'll know what will taste good in the peach wine.

Number one caution with using more peaches is to stir the must frequently--several times a day--to avoid hydrogen sulfide. Keep it aerated while it's fermenting and before racking. Also, use a bentonite slurry with the must. Still, there will be more loss in the first racking of a peach wine.
Ok currently I am waiting 24 hours for campden and pectic enzyme to do its thing. At 7pm tonight I was going to pitch yeast. Lalvin Ec 1118. How do you keep must aerated? I have a fish pump and airstone but no pure oxygen or stainless airstone. Will stirring 2-3 a day suffice? Currently I have a fermenting bucket with lid and airlock. Will this be enough for hydrogen sulfide to escape?

It is ok to aerate wine during fermentation? This is opposite of beer. I have a white grape wine fermenting, should I be aerating as well?

Where can I find bentonite?

Stir twice daily, do not airlock. Stirring three times a day is fine. Cover your bucket with a towel to keep bugs out. After the sg dropes below 1.020 you can airlock it if wanted. I wait untill the fruit stopes foaming up, releasining lots of gas and bubbles. Usuually the fruit will sink to the bottom when done. Sometimes the sg is 1.000 at this time. Rack off and airlock. Then hurry up and wait!
I prefure D47 or Contes De Blank yeast over 1118 for white fruit wines. They crap out at 12-14% abv. 1118 will go to 18% easily, so its harder to stabalize and backsweeten without lots of waiting and chemical help.

Stir twice daily, do not airlock. Stirring three times a day is fine. Cover your bucket with a towel to keep bugs out. After the sg dropes below 1.020 you can airlock it if wanted. I wait untill the fruit stopes foaming up, releasining lots of gas and bubbles. Usuually the fruit will sink to the bottom when done. Sometimes the sg is 1.000 at this time. Rack off and airlock. Then hurry up and wait!
I prefure D47 or Contes De Blank yeast over 1118 for white fruit wines. They crap out at 12-14% abv. 1118 will go to 18% easily, so its harder to stabalize and backsweeten without lots of waiting and chemical help.

I calculated recipe to 1.094. Will 1118 be ok for that? Its all I have on hand. Ill remove the lid and cover with a towel as you suggested. Thankyou.

We are getting ready to make our 2nd batch of fresh peach. The first one made in July of 2012 is almost gone. Peach is our favorite!

Back