The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Can anyone shed any light on my explosion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
jamieduncan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can anyone shed any light on my explosion?

Hello,
I, for the first time yesterday, have tried to brew red wine(maybe should have started with white?). I followed the instructions very carefully and left it on a tray and a paper incase of spills. Overnight it ejected the bung and airlock out of the demijohn and has sprayed red grapejuice all over my living room!(Ivory carpet and Moroccan sand walls! :-(()
I know, what was I doing putting it in there? Welll it said leave at room temperature to ferment so I did!
Can anyone shed any light on why this happened?
Cheers,
Jamie.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Grape juice is mainly simple sugars & it ferments explosively the first few days. I haven't done many wines, but ciders will do the same thing. I try to give them both about double the head room I would for an ale. Even so, I'll put them in the laundry's deep sink weather permitting.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-18-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

I use a big bucket for primary fermentation with wine, and don't use an airlock until it moves into secondary. It's only in primay for about 5 days, or until s.g. is around 1.020. It's covered loosely with muslin or a dish towel, to keep fruitflies, etc. out of it. If it had a tight cover, it'd explode because of the huge amounts of co2 being released. You don't have to worry about oxygenation until it goes into secondary- in fact, in primary it needs all the o2 it can get. I stir it several times a day with a big sanitized spoon, pushing down the cap.

Room temperature is perfect for wine, assuming that you used wine yeast. After you paint the walls and clean/replace the carpet, make another batch and don't cover it. Put it in a bucket at least 50% bigger volume than your batch. For a 3-5 gallon batch, I use a 7.5 gallon bucket and it's gone all the way to the top at times. I do keep mine in the kitchen, just in case, but I've never had a mess.

Lorena

Old 08-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
jamieduncan
Recipes 

Default Thanks!

Thank you both kindly for your replies and advice. I will be much more cautious next time and I think I will invest in a big bucket for the primary fermentation process. In the mean time I have to go and get busy with my paint brush and roller!
Cheers!

Quick Reply