Campden Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjg444

Reaction score
I'm new to this, and have searched but found no answer.
Apparently I'm the only one asking, so it's probably an easy question, but here goes:
We throw a Campden tablet/gallon in primary to kill off wild yeast. We wait 24 hours before pitching so it doesn't kill the 'good' yeast. Got it.
Then we throw one in per gallon when racking to secondary (or at least most sources say to). But wouldn't that kill off the remaining yeast that are needed now that the anaerobic has started?
Thank you.

Like your thought process! Hope someone more qualified can chime in.
I would tell you this ( and someone can correct my thinking as well )
when you add one when racking to secondary it will do two things, help remove free oxygen and kill the yeast. Killing the yeast could make the wine more sweet because you might have left over sugar vs back sweetening. Tis might be what the recipe calls for.
Again really trying to learn with you so lets wait for others to post!

Good topic Cig

I thought campden was to sterilize the initial must and then to add a kind of preservative. I'm new too, but it doesn't seem like it would kill the wine strains. I've been using it for the last few gallon batches I've made.

Campden doesn't kill yeast, especially not wine yeast which is amazingly tolerant of sulfites.

Sulfites (campden) is added when mixing up the must to kill bacteria and other microbes that may be in the must before the chosen wine yeast strain is added.

Sulfites (campden) are generally added at intervals to the wine as it dissipates, and it works as an antioxidant since it binds to wine so oxygen can't.

Thanks guys - I'm just following the recipes, and I figure they know what they're talking about, but I like to know why things work.
And how often do you add campden? Every racking? Every other?
Thanks

The ideal is to keep 50 ppm of s02 in the wine at all times. Without an SO2 meter, it's just guessing, but a good guestimate is one crushed and dissolved campden tablet, per gallon, at every other racking and at bottling. That's generally in the ballpark.

From Jack Kellers website:
Many of the recipes call for using one or more crushed Campden tablets while others do not. Some recipes call for the use of potassium metabisulfite instead. So why is this? Indeed, all recipes should use potassium metabisulfite (or Campden), but some authors list it and others don't, and some of the recipes on my site were developed by others -- but even I often leave it out of my recipes if it is not added initially. It is just something you should know you should add without being told. It kills almost all wild bacteria and fungi that ride in with the raw ingredients your wine will be made from, inhibits the early viability of wild yeast so that your cultured wine yeast can get a head start, and deters both the browning the oxidation of wines for a considerable period. But this compound is so strong that only 1/4 teaspoon is sufficient for treating 5 gallons of wine. Campden tablets contain a rather large amount of inert binding material and an appropriate amount of potassium metabisulfite (or sodium metabisulfite, which I don't recommend you use) for treating one gallon of wine. Use very finely crushed Campden tablets (you'll have to do the crushing yourself), dissolved in a little water, juice or must, for one gallon batches. Use potassium metabisulfite for 5-gallon batches and larger. If you can divide 1/4 teaspoon of the pure compound into 5 equal parts, then by all means use the potassium metabisulfite for 1-gallon batches instead of crushed Campden tablets.

Add the Campden or potassium metabisulfite (pot meta for short) when the fruit is crushed, unless you are going to use boiling water to extract the flavors, color and juices of the base. The boiling water will kill off the bacteria, fungus and wild yeast, but when you rack the wine you should add the appropriate dose of crushed Campden or pot meta. Some of the sulfur in the dose will bind with other components of the wine but some will exist as unbound sulfur (also called "free sulfur") in the form of a dissolved gas called sulfur dioxide, or SO2. This gas is the sanitizing and antioxidizing agent. As time progresses, the gas is slowly released into the atmosphere or breaks down and the sulfur in it binds with other components created as the wine develops and ages. Thus, the dose of SO2 must be regenerated periodically. If you add the Campden or pot meta to the must at the beginning, add another dose at the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rackings and just before bottling (it must be added at the same time as potassium sorbate when stabilizing a wine, as potassium sorbate alone will not stabilize the wine against malolactic bacteria, something you do not want to take up residence in your bottled wine). If you add Campden or pot meta at the time of the 1st racking, add it again at the 3rd and 5th rackings and before bottling (when stabilizing the wine). This should be done whether the recipe mentions it or not.

Shooter - thanks so much - this really helps.
But if Campden doesn't kill yeast, why wait the 24 hours before pitching?

Shooter - thanks so much - this really helps.
But if Campden doesn't kill yeast, why wait the 24 hours before pitching?

So that the bacteria and other micro organisms killed by sulfites have time to do that. Then, the yeast is pitched to outcompete any 'leftover' micro organisms still around. You won't kill them all with campden, but you can sanitize the must enough that many are killed, and then the chosen yeast strain can outcompete them.

OK... I must be pretty dumb. I was following a recipe from Keller and it didn't mention campden so I didn't add any. This was yesterday and I have yet to pitch the yeast. It's a lemon wine. Should I add them and wait an extra day to pitch the yeast?

So... I am dumb. I just read the page on Keller that said if it doesn't mention it, you should just know to do it anyway. So here's my new question. The juice/sugar/yeast nutrient/pectin enzyme was sitting for 24 hours without campden in the mix. it smelled vaguely of yeast this morning when I dropped the campden in. Am I ok to pitch the yeast tomorrow morning? If it doesn't smell "off" did I not ruin the whole thing?

So... I am dumb. I just read the page on Keller that said if it doesn't mention it, you should just know to do it anyway. So here's my new question. The juice/sugar/yeast nutrient/pectin enzyme was sitting for 24 hours without campden in the mix. it smelled vaguely of yeast this morning when I dropped the campden in. Am I ok to pitch the yeast tomorrow morning? If it doesn't smell "off" did I not ruin the whole thing?

There are a lot of us dummies here. Join the crowd!
What you smelled was most likely wild yeast starting to ferment. The campton stunned it. All should be good to go for adding your domestic yeast this morning. Even if all the wild yeast did not get stunned, your yeast will quickly overcome it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back