Beta/mix grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We picked these today:
0825121524.jpg

0825121523.jpg

Well, the garlic is just "extra" and not going in the wine. :D

I have no idea how many pounds yet- we're still destemming. I'd say we have every bit of 40 pounds, though, maybe more. There are three more buckets, plus a bunch of gallon sized containers, and a full destemmed bucket.

Wow! I'd love to have that much fresh fruit to work with. Except,there might be a few pounds missing after I finished destemming them ;)

No, they are a wild beta cross, according to my husband. They are related to concords, though, a cross of a wild grape and concord grapes.

They are tart, with pretty large seeds, but taste quite a bit like a concord.

I am new here, just learning how this group works, asked you a message about crabapple wine, but since I didn't hit "reply" you might not see it.

Anyway, I have beta grapes and have only used them for jelly. How are they in wine? It's not a big plant so I don't get many, but I also have a white grape (no idea what variety) I was thinking maybe I could mix them.

They are ok- sort of tart, and if you sweeten it, it comes out like Manisheweitz. BUT we just did something unusual last fall. We mixed it with some more flavorful fruits- like black currents and elderberries- and it made all the difference. It came out so much better, and we loved it!

Back