adding sugar (Island Mist Kits)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egiblock

Reaction score
so i usually just boil water and toss in 3 to 4.5 lbs of sugar and heat it up and stir it around till the sugar dissolves into the water. then i'll add it to my primary fermenting bucket with the rest of step 1 from the Island Mist kit and then off to the races.

am I doing the sugar right ? I've read a bunch of different methods online and just trying to figure out the best.

thanks

:confused:

If you're going to add sugar, it doesn't matter much how you do it. The way you do it seem just fine.

I don't like those kits, but my friend loves them and makes them often. She doesn't add sugar, as she serves it sitting out by the pool as sort of a wine cooler/spritzer type of drink and they go over pretty well like that!

If you're going to add sugar, it doesn't matter much how you do it. The way you do it seem just fine.

I don't like those kits, but my friend loves them and makes them often. She doesn't add sugar, as she serves it sitting out by the pool as sort of a wine cooler/spritzer type of drink and they go over pretty well like that!

my wife and friends love them cause they go down like koolaide and then hits you hard

Just bottled our first batch of Island Mist limeade. During the fermentation I added additional sugar just put it into the primary in the beginning and dissolved. no problems came out delicious.

Just bottled our first batch of Island Mist limeade. During the fermentation I added additional sugar just put it into the primary in the beginning and dissolved. no problems came out delicious.

Oh weird, I just asked about this. How much sugar did you add and what affect did it have on your final alcohol content?

3lbs and I've done 4.5lbs . The base i figured is around 7%. So we're looking at 10-11.5% final abv.

I added 1 lb (first time making) was nervous about ruining it, took alcohol to about 8%, it turned out great. Everyone loves it, such a burst of flavor. I will probably add more sugar to get the alcohol higher next time.

I added 1 lb (first time making) was nervous about ruining it, took alcohol to about 8%, it turned out great. Everyone loves it, such a burst of flavor. I will probably add more sugar to get the alcohol higher next time.

Awesome thanks for the info! I think I'm gonna pick up the raspberry peach sangria kit. Can you tell me if the kits taste similar to the Arbor Mist wines? I'm looking to make some for my mom and I would like to see if she will like them. Thanks!

You could say they're somewhat similar maybe have more alcohol content would have to check. Great flavor the limeade.

Back