Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > adding raisins to wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Denniswaynes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding raisins to wine

I have a recipe I made last year for a wine with herbs and honey. Drinking the wine this year, I enjoyed it, although I thought the flavor could use improvement. I'm considering adding white raisins, as it is a white wine, to balance the acidity, and improve the flavor. With recipes I have followed from other winemakers, one wine- (pumpkin) called for one pound of raisins with 2-1/2 lbs. of sugar. My recipe for cranberry wine called for 2-1/2 lbs. of sugar, 1-1/2 lbs. of raisins. Since the recipe that I am using is a recipe I have invented, how can I know how many raisins to add?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
meading_of_minds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Read around through some recipes similar to yours or that inspired yours and see how much raisin they use. Then maybe make a few gallon batches and test various amounts. I just started playing with the welches wines I make by adding a pound of chopped dates to them. Very interesting!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply